The Movies I Liked

YIP MAN-PART 1 & PART 2 -Bluray

These are Cantonese language movies with English sub titles. The movies are about the life and times of Yip Man. He was a master in 'Wing Chun' a form of chinese kung fu.Wiki says the films take lots of liberties with Yip Man's life for dramatic efforts.In the film he refuses to subjugate to the Japanese army which invaded China.The movies are interesting to watch and the fights are nicely choreographed.

PS: Bruce Lee was onE of the disciples of Yip Man.-Watch out for the very young and brash Bruce asking Yip Man arrogantly how much he has to pay for learning kung fu.[not the real Lee of course)

cheers,
sri

Yip Man is currently being telecast on one of the pay-per-view channels of Big TV and being a big fan of Lee, I was quite tempted to watch his Master in action but somehow never got down to doing it. I find the stories of young Bruce quite an interesting read. I, in fact had quite a collection books and photo illustrated magazines depicting the fighting style of Jeet Kune Do.

Some of the Quotes attributed to Lee.

"Knowledge will give you power, but character respect".

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Showing off is the fools idea of glory.

Regards,

Sunil

Last edited:
Yip Man is currently being telecast on one of the pay-per-view channels of Big TV and being a big fan of Lee, I was quite tempted to watch his Master in action but somehow never got down to doing it. I find the stories of young Bruce quite an interesting read. I, in fact had quite a collection books and photo illustrated magazines depicting the fighting style of Jeet Kune Do.

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Regards,

Sunil

Thanks for those quotes. Here's one from Enter the Dragon where O'Hara (Bob Wall), before their match hits a board to show off his strength.

"Boards don't hit back"

And earlier in the movie he tells a young trainee
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory"

Jerusalema

Storyline

Starting off with simple smash and grabs, and petty crime, Lucky Kunene quickly graduates to more aggressive heists such as armed robbery and carjacking. Soon, Lucky realizes he needs a bigger score to fulfill his goals of making it big, and escaping from the slums, to a dream house by the sea. Kunene hatches an elaborate and violent plan to make his fortune - hijacking buildings from landlords of Johannesburg tenements by winning the favor of the tenants and then holding their rent hostage from the landowners. His high-profile real estate acquisitions attract the attention of the local police force who have no qualms about using unprovoked brutality to bring him down. His trouble with the law, coupled with an escalating war between a local drug lord, creates a tense standoff: both sides are closing in, and Kunene must stay one step ahead--or his empire, and his life, will come crashing down.

Gangster's Paradise: Jerusalema (2008) - IMDb

V.

Shutter Island

Storyline

It's 1954, and up-and-coming U.S. marshal Teddy Daniels is assigned to investigate the disappearance of a patient from Boston's Shutter Island Ashecliffe Hospital. He's been pushing for an assignment on the island for personal reasons, but before long he wonders whether he hasn't been brought there as part of a twisted plot by hospital doctors whose radical treatments range from unethical to illegal to downright sinister. Teddy's shrewd investigating skills soon provide a promising lead, but the hospital refuses him access to records he suspects would break the case wide open. As a hurricane cuts off communication with the mainland, more dangerous criminals "escape" in the confusion, and the puzzling, improbable clues multiply, Teddy begins to doubt everything - his memory, his partner, even his own sanity.

Shutter Island (2010) - IMDb

V.

THE TRUTH
Ok folks, sorry to buck the trend but do NOT watch this movie. It has an improbable plot, unconvincing characters. The only redeeming feature of this movie?? The actress, who could be passed of as "the poor man's Nicole Kidman" (in her prime) makes some convincing moaning sounds in scenes where such sounds are called for. But no need to get excited. No real skin is shown.

PS: Lest my post be misconstrued, I just want to clarify that the name of the movie is THE TRUTH.

Last edited:
Guys,
Watched
- "I am sam" - just pinched my emotions.. such a beautiful performance by Penn! and Dakota!

- "The Reader" - Amazing Kate!

- "The Prestige" - Excellent drama!

- "Butterfly Effect- Part1" didnt like other series...

- August Rush

- The Pursuit Of Happyness

- Music and Lyrics

- Women on Top

- You have got mail (watched countless times)

- INception

- Due Date

- SeaBiscut

thats few folks..
-kannan

- American Gangster

Regards,

Sunil

When Chuck Norris was asked if he could have beaten Bruce Lee in a competition, he diplomatically tried to brush off the question by saying that Lee never participated in competitive sports and the question never can be answered.But when persisted he answered with one of Lee's own quotes,

'Showing off is a fool's idea of glory":)

BTW have any one here watched Chuck's TV series Walker-The Texas Ranger? I have watched all the episodes of all nine seasons of the series and loved most of them.They are simple crime busting episodes where he kicks some serious butt.I have lot of respect for this six times Middle Weight Karate Champion for his relentless crusade against drugs in America.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
EXAM (2009)

Eight candidates are selected for a test to join a mysterious organisation.Its a weired exam they have to go through.The invigilator lays down some rules for them and tells there is only one question to answer and leaves.But all they can find is one single white paper.They have to first figure out what the question is.
Who was the last man/woman standing and finds the question first and answer next is what the movie is all about.Its quite an interesting movie which happens in a single room.I enjoyed it on a stormy Sunday afternoon here in our Chennai.Try it.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
When Chuck Norris was asked if he could have beaten Bruce Lee in a competition, he diplomatically tried to brush off the question by saying that Lee never participated in competitive sports and the question never can be answered.But when persisted he answered with one of Lee's own quotes,

'Showing off is a fool's idea of glory":)

sri

I think that the fight sequence between Chuck Norris and Lee was one of the best ever filmed. Very different styles but equally talented. The respect that Lee shows to Chuck Norris at the end of the fight says it all.

Something very interesting that I read. Chuck Norris's personal code for Chun Kuk Do.

I will develop myself to the maximum of my potential in all ways.
I will forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements.
I will continually work at developing love, happiness and loyalty in my family.
I will look for the good in all people and make them feel worthwhile.
If I have nothing good to say about a person, I will say nothing.
I will always be as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.
I will maintain an attitude of open-mindedness.
I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.
I will always remain loyal to my God, my country, family and my friends.
I will remain highly goal-oriented throughout my life because that positive attitude helps my family, my country and myself.

Nowhere does it say 'I will try and maim/kick the lights out of my opponent every chance I get ' :lol:

Regards,

Sunil

I think that the fight sequence between Chuck Norris and Lee was one of the best ever filmed. Very different styles but equally talented. The respect that Lee shows to Chuck Norris at the end of the fight says it all.

Something very interesting that I read. Chuck Norris's personal code for Chun Kuk Do.

I will develop myself to the maximum of my potential in all ways.
I will forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements.
I will continually work at developing love, happiness and loyalty in my family.
I will look for the good in all people and make them feel worthwhile.
If I have nothing good to say about a person, I will say nothing.
I will always be as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.
I will maintain an attitude of open-mindedness.
I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.
I will always remain loyal to my God, my country, family and my friends.
I will remain highly goal-oriented throughout my life because that positive attitude helps my family, my country and myself.

Nowhere does it say 'I will try and maim/kick the lights out of my opponent every chance I get ' :lol:

Regards,

Sunil

Yes impressive indeed.I asked my son to go through it some time ago.

cheers,
sri

guzaarish_240910.jpg

Guzaarish

Guzaarish is the last thing you would expect from Bhansali given the recent past. Bhansali received a lot of acclaim for Black along with box office success. This meant that Bhansali followed it up with Saawariya which according to me saw Bhansali experiment the most as a director. It was a movie where Bhansali painted like an artist with unabashed freedom. It even had an out of the box ending which for me added a lot to the film and showed where Bhansali was coming from. He expressed himself and must have thought that given people liked Black, Indian audiences would love Saawariya as well. However, Saawariya didn't receive box office success or critical acclaim. Well, I loved Saawariya for many different reasons and I will try to analyze the film in detail in a future post after I re-watch the movie.

Any ways, given the failure of Saawariya, you would expect Bhansali to go back to some thing like Devdas. It certainly would have been very tempting given how much box office success means survival in mainstream bollywod. Instead, Bhansali went back to his roots. He shot a large part of the film in Goa, where he shot his debut film, the sensitive and beautiful Khamoshi. Bhansali must adore Goa and there isn't any thing wrong with that. Goa is one of the most well loved destinations of India by Indians but putting the spotlight on Goa and more importantly local Goan culture is the first sign Bhansali isn't really that interested in the the box office with this film. His characters are mostly christian (as many people in Goa are) and aspects of Goa are shown like songs and dresses (the one Aishwarya Rai wears in the last scene to the last detail including a neck piece is as local as one can get).

I don't think Bhansali spent extravagantly on the making of the film (I am guessing here). The sets don't look cheap and they do have an artistic air about them but they aren't very lavish which is a good thing because such a film will definitely do poorly at the box office. I talked with a lot of people before the release of this film and not even one person was interested in seeing this film. After it becomes more widely known that the film is about euthanasia, I am sure even more people will shy away.

In the same way as a main stream figure like Aamir Khan is applauded for making/supporting films like Taare Zameen Par, Peepli [Live], Bhansali needs to be applauded here for going against industry norms and making a film he wants to make and going the route of artistic expression rather than trying to make a huge amount of money.

Coming to the film, Ethan Mascarenhas (played by Roshan) loves life. He has inspired people who wanted to die to see life in a new way, has even written a book which is very inspirational for people with disability. Indeed, the thing which you characterize most with the protagonist is that he is always laughing and smiling. When he goes outside after ages, he asks Rai to take his hat off so that he can feel the air brush against his hair. He looks at the trees, the sky and the landscape and marvels at them. Indeed, it is this love for life which frustrates him. He sees children playing football and there is a pain and anguish in his eyes at his inability to do the same.

He loved his assistant who helped him during his magic performances but asked her to leave him after his accident. It is some thing which would eat him up no end. It his inability to live life as a normal person with fast deteriorating condition and no real hope of recovery which causes him the deepest frustration. I thought this aspect wasn't dwelled into as much as it should have been. We are made aware that he has dialysis done and his various ailments but we aren't shown him suffering through them. The most you get is a leaked roof meaning he has to endure raindrops falling on his head all night, which I am sure, would be very tough to handle but it isn't a problem one has to go through on a day to day basis.

The arguments Rajit Kapoor makes as the lawyer against euthanasia are very childish and dumbs down the film. He should have made pro-life points instead of attacking the various people in Roshan's life. It is also unexplained how the common man who is against the idea of euthanasia start rallying behind Roshan enmasse.

Lastly, the worst part was the marrying of Roshan and Rai. I thought regarding this. Rai is shown to be some one who is in love with Roshan (the right path would have been to show Rai as a selfless individual in my opinion). However, Roshan is some one who loved some one else. So it is as if Roshan is thanking Rai in his own way. Another perspective, which would be the obvious way to think, would be that he has now started loving Rai. Whatever it is, I think it was a poor concept and some thing we could have done without.

A lot of flaws and I can carry on regarding minor points. I mean what is Suhel Seth doing crying all the time. What is Suhel Seth doing at all in a movie? What is the point of the character who wants to learn magic from Roshan or indeed about the evil magician who was the competitor of Roshan.

I must say, however, that I liked the movie despite all this. Roshan and Rai are both excellent in their roles. It is a pretty good watch. I would give it a 6.5/10. I think it would be pretty cringe worthy if you try to watch it again though given the gaping holes in the plot and lack of cohesion and tightness in the script and arguments. In the end though, you have to admire Bhansali for going for a topic like this even though he wasn't able to pull it off.

Harry-Potter-Deathly-Hallows-Wallpaper-bellatrix2-600x375.jpg

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1)

*Spoilers but shouldn't mean much if you have already read the book, which you really should before watching this*

This movie is for seasoned Harry Potter fans (like me! :D) and they will appreciate this movie a lot. However, the others may not find this movie very appealing despite it being a great film. Harry Potter films have kept improving from the first few films being very poor to the last few being pretty good. The last couple of films by Yates were excellent but given that huge books were covered in 150 minutes or so, they appeared rushed. The last book is being made over two films, so gives a lot of time to tell the story.

I was very interested to see how the film would be executed. The book has a lot of aspects which wouldn't appeal to conventional box office wisdom. There are many pages in the book during which the main characters keep camping from one obscure place to the other clueless regarding the hocruxes. Aspects like loneliness, frustration and angst and explored. The movie is excellent here with the harsh terrain and landscapes perfectly complementing the state of mind of the characters. Again, I was very keen regarding how the landscapes would be done and there was a lot of scope for creativity here. The director succeeds in putting in compelling and yet starkly different kinds of sceneries as backdrops.

This is a very slow paced movie which is excellent I think. If you read the first half of the book, not much happens in it and it is more of a pleasurable gruel and that is exactly what the film is like. A few parts of the film felt like Winter's Bone to me and had elements of noir whether it be their ride through the terrains or when they visit Godric's Hollow. That certainly can't be a bad thing, can it? Give me more noir!

The death of characters didn't seem huge in the book. However, it seems very weighty in the movie. I LOVED that Potter digging the grave for dobby is shown in as much detail as you can expect. That was a very important part of the book in my opinion and I am glad it is given more than it's due in the movie. After the first battle in the beginning, the neck of one of the Weasley twins is badly damaged and his ear has been chopped off. The neck is shown full of blood in the film and it was very graphic.

No one expected this film to be a children's flick given the darker, more serious nature of the latter books of the Potter franchise and given how the last couple of movies had gone but this movie seemed a more concerted effort to make it some thing which the ardent Potter fan would really relish. No time is wasted in getting us to know the characters. There are subtle things which a Potter fan would catch like when the Weasley twins say that they are identical after they take the shape of Potter.

Few minor notes - I thought the character of Bellatrix was played really well in the small screen appearance. Also, the story of the three brothers was animated amazingly.

The way the movie ended was perfect and sets it up nicely for the finale. I relished watching the film a lot and I think it will only get better with repeat viewings. 8/10.

I saw a movie yesterday that I was impressed with quite a lot. Titled 'Teen Patti', the movie stars Amitabh Bachchan, Madhavan amongst others. Filmed mostly in an institute (BITS, IIM, ??), the story is about Venkat Subramaniam, a mathematical genius. His theories in applied mathematics are so advancced and radical that none of his compatriots even understand what he is talking about. All his thesis get rejected one after another.

One day, Venkat cracks the theory of probability and proves to himself that he can predict who will win in a game of cards. He first does this on the computer, and then he uses another professor, Shatanu, (played by Madhavan) and a set of four students to prove who will win in the simple game of teen patti. Madhavan challenges Venkat to prove his theory in a real game played in illegal addas. One thing leads to another, and Venkat, Shatanu and the students are dragged deeper and deeper into gambling dens.

Through all this, Venkat keeps his sanity and, for him, everything that happens is an experiment to prove his theories. But greed takes control of the lives of others. Venkat realises his expertise is mathematics, and he has no idea how to teach life to the others. With disastrous results, Venkat is forced to resign and retire to a small village where he teaches school students.

The movie is a flash back when Venkat is called by Perci Trachtenberg (payed by Ben Kingsley) of Cambridge University to receive an award.

Though the movie has Munni Badnam Hiu type songs, they are all acceptable backgrounds to a good movie with good acting. In one scene, when he is frustrated, Amitabh talks to a photo of Albert Einstein. This reminded me of one of Amitabh's orignal performances when he talks to himself in a mirror.

The movie could probably be a copy of the movie '21', but even then it is worth watching.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back