The Movies I Liked

I thought Teen Patti was one of the worst experiences in my movie watching life. My review here.

Everyone has his likes and dislikes, right? In any case, the version I saw had no dubbing and used Tamil, English, and Hindi appropriately. Even Ben and Amitabh's pronounciation of 'Venkat Subaramaniam' was as correct as it could be given northerners and westerners being tongue tied with south Indian names. Ben jokingly says he practiced speaking the name a number of times in front of the mirror.

Of course, Amitabh fails miserably when he speaks out 1, 2, 3, 4 (Onnu, Errandu, Moonru, Naalu....) in Tamil in the beginning of the movie. Fortunately the Director understands Amitabh's difficulty with the language and pans out at the right time.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks Pratters.Would like to hear more from other members so that i can start collecting good set of Romantic Movies.Everyone please share the best of Romantic movies you liked.

@ above
As for Romantic movies i dont know wether to classify this as the typical romance but here it goes.

THE FOUNTAIN (2006) is definitely worth watching It has great story, musical score is out of the world and nice visuals.

As for fun Movies
Do watch "How to train your dragon" Blueray. Excellent visuals, Great Audio (The giant Dragon flying pushed wind out of my sub :) ) and fun.

Just my 2 paisa

Thilak

10 things I hate about you , Save the Last Dance & 500 Days of summer --> Got great Sound Track and My personal Favorites.
Hitch
How to loose a guy in 10 days
Any movie starring Richard Gere and Julia Roberts
50 first dates

These are few I can recall for now.

The best Horror, sorry I should say its very brutal and the scenes remain to haunt atleast for a couple of days.

If you all get an opportunity to see this french horror movie, I think this is the most brutal of all the horror I have seen. The background music is spine chilling with in sync with the movie scenes.

Oh....sorry the name of the movie is " l'intrieur, Inside (U.S. Title) . I happen to download the bluray rip (MKV-1080p) seeing the review in IMDB and its very very brutal.

Your comments welcome.

1950's Westerns any one?

Watched a few 50s westerns this week.The westerns i have watched so far featured only Eastwood and John Wayne.So decided to try out some new actors and stumbled upon Alan Ladd(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ladd}.Quite surprisingly for a western hero this guy is a small made and only 5' 3'' tall.But he has a deep voice like our Amitabh's and has a nice screen presence.Not surprisingly he was initially rejected by a studio and made it big with persistent efforts.The movies i watched with him as hero are,
1 Shane
2 Branded
3 Drumbeat

Of all the three i liked Shane.Its a well crafted western.The heroine is Ladd's employers wife.Though it seems obvious they are attracted to each other, not a word is spoken about it through out the movie except when Shane prefers to go for the final showdown instead of his employer the heroine asks him if he is doing it only for her.

Then i watched a James Stevert movie Wincehester'73 and a Peck movie Gunfighter..

Give them a shot guys.You may like them.:)

cheers,
sri

Attachments

• shane.jpg
    shane.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Just back from Guzaarish. This movie shows a director's height of self-indulgence. Pretentious! Mr. SLB should definitely go back to masala movies. At least they will earn him some money.

Mercy killing is such a delicate subject and a certain SLB rips it apart and makes a joke out of it.

1. Ethan lives in a mansion fit for Adam's family. I guess they would feel insecure of the creepiness.
2. He is in constant pain and for such a patient there is utter dearth of medicines in the movie frame.
3. His mom doesn't bother to turn up after the first plea of mercy killing when the TV, newspapers are abound with such news.
4. She then later shows up to shed some tears, rattle a mouthful of dialogs in hushed voice and dies when her son is fighting with water droplets. Ooouch!
5. Ethan starts singing "cutting off" the Father when his mother is buried. No one bothers to console him - let him sing (he is crazy).
6. Omar is goofy, almost drops his "teacher" and snoozes away when Ethan screams for him. Sad and unwanted characterization. And Omar wants to be the best magician. Umm... all the best!
7. Sophia gets bashed up her husband and then a divorce just in time marry to Ethan. That was a quick divorce!
8. SBL should know that sometimes silence is golden and if hell-bent on heavy dialogs then make it relevant to the scene.
9. Ethan tries to be witty but every line is cliched.
10. No one bothers to trim Ethan's hair or beard.
11. Thank God, Ethan didn't ask for votes via SMS. Btw, he starts off with the ridiculous radio show even without revealing his supposedly non-existent sad story. The radio show eventually fizzles out.
12. His ex-flame calls him up and speaks of her support of i-know-why-you-want-to-die while her husband and child are in similar frame. Shameless! Come on SBL you could have shown a photo frame besides her. She could sit daintily on a chair rather than on the floor to express her feelings.
13. Court room in Ethan's house - SLB must be kidding. He puts Kapoor in a trunk to prove a useless point.
14. Even the bright Goa looks bluish. What's with SBL's fascination with blue?
15. "Uddi" number is grossly misplaced but Rai does a fab job.
16. The songs are a BORE.
17. Ethan laughs, laughs, laughs and then cries - have seen this zillion times.
18. Ahh! May every magician kiss and make out with his assistant in front of an audience.
19. Sorry, what was Sophia dressed in again...?
20. Where is the pain, where is the silence? Ethan's final eulogy to life takes much time to end. So why does he wants to die? If he can utter mouthfuls of dialog without a single expression of physical pain then he seems perfectly fit to live.

Oh! I've reached 20, so no more.

There are some good moments but only worth a DVD watch.

I have seen Black but only in bit and pieces. I wonder why Rani had to walk like a lunatic whereas her character is blind. Again, why would Amitabh speak like a psycho at all times? Again, why would it snow in no-where land? Maybe I'll see that movie in entirety to solve the puzzle as I've heard good reviews.

Guzaarish is emotionally unattached, just some reels of picture-perfect frames put together. Utter garbage making unpardonable mockery of mercy killing pleas.

Sorry guys, I know, this is "The Movies I Liked" thread but... ;)

Last edited:
THE BIG COUNTRY

Continuing my romance with the 50s westerns watched the Gregory Peck movie yesterday.

I think this is a great western simply for the fact that the usual situations arise.in the movie but does not end the way we expect them to do.The movie laughs at you and take different turns many times.

The characterization of Peck is very interesting.Guys you can either admire him or get frustrated with him for the way he approaches situations thrown at him.:)Not that he runs away from the challenges the wild west( where he comes calling to marry his fiance) throws at him as a man from New England,but tackles them in his own way.When his baffled wife to be asks him about it, he simply says,'There are certain things that a man has to prove to only himself and not to others.'This is not a bang bang western.In fact the hero wields the gun only once with unexpected results.

As usual Peck gives an immaculate performance.Burl Ives as Rufus Hannassey is praiseworthy.

Those into westerns and haven't watched it yet please do guys.I am pretty sure you will like it.

cheers,
sri

Attachments

• the big country.jpg
    the big country.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
MacGruber [2010][Bluray]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470023/

A nice timepass Action/Comedy movie. Story is just ok, with some good gags inbetween. Some surprise guest appearance by The Kane, BigBoss, Chris Jericho, Mark Henry and Khali. With some big laughs on the gags, this is a onetime watchable movie.

Cheers.

Last edited:
khelein-hum-jee-jaan-sey-abhishek-deepika-ashutosh-1.jpg

Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey is an honest and sincere effort by Ashutosh Gowarikar put together with a lot of hardwork. Now, a lot of the times, such efforts may not work out on the screen but in the case of this movie, it results in a great piece of cinema.

Before going to the movie, I was discussing about the young deaths which had occured during India's freedom struggle. Some one like Bhagat Singh was only 23. The film starts with youngsters playing football and the British taking over their play ground. All through the first half, a lot of screen time is dedicated to these youngsters.

It is important to understand the Ashutosh Gowarikar style of film making here. He is a director who likes to make the audiences feel his films and he does it by etching out a screenplay which has a pace of it's own. A lot of people find it slow but if it was faster, you wouldn't get the time to not only realise, but to absorb and understand the dreams and aspirations of the people on screen.

The story of the Chittagong uprising is one of the less popular epsiodes of the Indian freedom struggle So it is great that Gowarikar has brought this story into the mainstream. Through the movie, you feel regarding and remember not only the freedom fighters of the Chittagong uprising but all the unnamed people who took it upon themselves to fight to free India. A son tells his father that they will not sell imported clothes any more, a mother gives his son Rs. 100 to contribnute to the freedom struggle and it is about the sacrifices (small or large) of the common man who wants India free. The teenagers who fought in the Chittagong uprising were as common as they come. You see scene after scene of these young freedom fighters. It is really a homage to the many, many Indians who wanted India free and contributed towards that end.

When the film ends, photographs of the people who fought in the Chittagong uprising are shown side by side with that of the actors who depicted them. A lot of them are very similar in not just the fact that they wore spectacles but even in the hairstyles. It is testament to the amount of detail which has gone into making this film. That detail is scene every where in the film whether it be in the way the characters dress, the sets or the sceneries. In the second half landscapes of Bengal are recreated when the freedom fighters are on the run and it is really very well done. 8/10.

Agora (2009) - IMDb

In the name of Religion, a Violent battle erupts in the city of Alexandria , The fate of the ancient world is left in the hands of Hypatia (Rachel Wiez). Living in a society threatened by her life and works,she becomes the center of an epic battle that changes history forever

Great performances ,good direction makes it a very good period drama to watch, theres plenty of birds eye view of the city of Alexandria which is breathtaking,
Rachel wiez excells in her role as Hypatia , her works were found 1200 years latter

Agora (2009) - IMDb user reviews

Last edited:
I am trying to watch as many films from the 65 selected for the Oscar Foreign language film as I can. Well I have been wanting to start for a long time but I have finally started. I watched Steam of Life (Finland) and Dogtooth (Greece). Both were amazingly great. I will try to do a write up later but I urge you to see both films. Dogtooth is close to a masterpiece and I am expecting great things from the director in the future.

Also saw Rakht Charitra - I. The first 30 minutes are good but it falls off after that. I was expecting a lot more gore. If people praise some thing like Dabangg for being unabashed, I don't see why they don't praise RGV for making unabashed cinema even though it isn't always a great piece of cinema. I am glad he keeps making the kind of films he wants to make despite heavy criticisms. 6.5/10.

There was a German youth festival at Max Mueller Bhavan a few days back for which they showed 4 children's films over 4 days. I watched two.

lippelsdream_02.jpg

Lippel's Dreams - A really nice film about a boy who lives in his dreams. It was fairly simplistic though and though I found it nice, I wasn't amazed or enthralled by it. 7/10.

flussfahrt_gross.gif

Flussfahrt mit Huhn (Hen in a Boat) - This was superb. It is about 4 children going on a boat adventure and the old grand pa following them. It had a lot of moments where I was smiling widely. Loved it. 8/10.

Machete [2010][Bluray]

Machete (2010) - IMDb

A very entertaining Mexican Action/Drama movie. Nice casting (Robert De Niro, Steven Seagal, Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Alba, Danny Trejo, Michelle Rodriguez). But I guess that's too many characters. The action is exciting and the jokes are hilarious. A full timepass movie. Must watch.

Remember Me [2010][Bluray]

Remember Me (2010) - IMDb

A good Romance/Drama movie. The movie starts and ends with a very dramatic situation, inbetween the story is interesting but feels a bit slow. Good performance by Ruby Jerins(This kid is very cute looking.) and Pierce Brosnan.

cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back