Owners' Thread - Apple Iphone & Ipod

man can't believe they actually lost one. even its only one of their prototypes. which i think is the case. then again this is apple and who really knows?

Who knows SJ is probably testing waters to see the response from the crowd. Apple just needs to spend less on marketing, everything is taken over by the Internet.

But there seems to be lots of changes between 3G & 4G with the phone more looking like historic Sony Ericsson phones. I'm just curious as to why those guys didn't power up the phone to show the interface etc. Another 60 days and we should probably have an answer.

Stevieboy - Are you going to be the first in queue to buy this?

For some reason, my iTunes software or iPod touch is not able to connect ot the app store to download any apps. Everything else works fine on the network.

so I cant install opera.JB iPod can download apps, only the appstore cant.

Regards

For some reason, my iTunes software or iPod touch is not able to connect ot the app store to download any apps. Everything else works fine on the network.

so I cant install opera.JB iPod can download apps, only the appstore cant.

Regards

did u try Cydia .
Cydia store

^ When was the last time you were able to connect to the App store? I believe You need to signed-in to open the App stores from iTunes and the phone as well. Is your version of iTunes up to date and how about the OS is that updated as well?

Any firewall/proxy not allowing connections from both iTunes and from phone?

Also if you're latest iTunes version see if this helps
iTunes - Unable to connect to iTunes Store

Stevieboy - Are you going to be the first in queue to buy this?

sigh... teky i wish i could! but the price is just a bit too prohibitive. if things go well hopefully i'll play santa claus to myself :rolleyes:

on another note, the smooth scrolling motion that the iphone and ipad has is supposedly incorporated in the new macbook pros. anyway of getting this on the previous gen macbook pro, the outgoing one? would love that scrolling motion!!!

edit: http://www.marcmoini.com/sx_en.html
found this, can the techies check it out and lemme know if i ought to try it? safe?

edit: it works!!! 20$ looks like am gonna be buying zees!!!! yummy! the one feature i felt i missed out on the new macbooks. i could do without the higher graphics power and higher storage but this i was like :( WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:
Phew!! Finally, my iPhone is working again:clapping:.

I noticed this morning the home key on my iPhone was not working unless when pressed too hard. A quick check told me, that the two screws seen in this pic here were missing. I started thinking of alternate screws that might fit. Screws used in spectacle frames and ones used by an orthopaedician to hold broken bones came to mind. I then decided I'll just get the original screws from Apple Service Center in Bangalore (?). So I decided to wait until the Bangalore Apple Service Center opened at 9:30. Every minute felt like an hour. I called the service Center at 9:45 and was glad to know that I had to press 2 for iPhone, which means iPhone was also supported. Alas, the recorded voice said "Contact your Network Service Provider":mad:. Back to Square one.

My iPhone needed charging and when I plugged it into my office PC, it would not charge:sad:. My colleagued called on my iPhone and it only vibrated, but did not ring. Tried playing the Ipod, no sound :sad:. Now, I knew that the problem is more than just some missing screws. Something to do with the lower quarter of my iPhone since that is the area which has the screws missing, home button too hard, speakers are also in the same area. Probably, a bus(strip of wires) connector might have become lose or may have got cut. The only way to find out was to open the phone apart myself:D.

But how? Found this fantastic guide Rapid Repair - iPhone 3G Take-Apart-Guide Repair by RapidRepair

Once, I read this guide, I could not wait to get back home to try it. Reached home and opened the phone apart following the instructions religiously. As expected, the problem was that bus numbered 4 in this pic had come loose.
Step 3 hurt (my heart) the most. I skipped Steps 4 to 6 and did the opposite of Step 7. Took some photos and put back the phone together. Since I had another iPhone (a brand new 3GS waiting for someone to crack 3.1.3), I used one screw from it. If anyone knows where to get that screw in India or abroad, please let me know and also help me get it. Here are pics I took:

DSC07222.jpg

DSC07223.jpg

Thought I'll share with you guys so in case you have any issues (God forbid) with your iPhone, keep your cool and try this guide first.

Ok, now that I have shared my excitement and my anxiety is gone, I am off to bed. Gnite!

Last edited:
^ When was the last time you were able to connect to the App store? I believe You need to signed-in to open the App stores from iTunes and the phone as well. Is your version of iTunes up to date and how about the OS is that updated as well?

Any firewall/proxy not allowing connections from both iTunes and from phone?

Also if you're latest iTunes version see if this helps
iTunes - Unable to connect to iTunes Store

Funnily itworked yesterday late night!! I downloaded Opera and saved a few sample pages. I changed nothing to make it work.

Thanks guys.

Cheers

Congrats Mate ....I'm searching for the screw, If I find anything will get it.
Thanks teky for your help in this matter.

- You should have put a disclaimer saying this is not for faint-hearted.
Frankly, this is the first time that I am opening something that is so delicate, expensive and complicated. That too, I desperately needed this to work. It was more out of necessity.

Moral of the story: If I can do it, anyone can:)

Will this also fix the Mute button problem :D
LOL!! For those who are curious, teky is talking about a problem which I face while I am in a phone call. When I position the phone against my ear, my cheek touches the Mute button and the person at the other end can't here a thing and I realise it only after they go "Hello!! Hello!!".

Teky likes to think it is because I have put on weight between my ears and that a a fitness regime and strict diet should solve this problem:lol:. But, I remember reading somewhere that there is a sensor that automatically deactivates the touch menu when the phone is place near the ear. I think that sensor may have gone kaput in my phone or maybe that sensor does not exist in the 3G. Can someone confirm? Lazy to search:)

Teky likes to think it is because I have put on weight between my ears and that a a fitness regime and strict diet should solve this problem:lol:. But, I remember reading somewhere that there is a sensor that automatically deactivates the touch menu when the phone is place near the ear. I think that sensor may have gone kaput in my phone or maybe that sensor does not exist in the 3G. Can someone confirm? Lazy to search:)

I know only a fitness regime can solve this, Because it doesn't happen for me :D

After some initial search the problem may be attributed to the case you're using. But in your case you don't use the case as well, So only way is to personally check the phone with someone else and see if the mute button is accidentally pressed. Else it may depend on the position you're holding the phone, i.e the Proximity sensor located near the speaker isn't close enough to your ear to keep the phone locked?

You can pick up officially unlocked pieces from Dubai. Both Etiselat and Du are selling them. I just had one 32GB 3GS picked up for about INR 33000 about two months back. This beats any price you pay in India for a locked/JB fon.... and no unlock/JB worries for ever!

Congrats Mate - You should have put a disclaimer saying this is not for faint-hearted. I'm searching for the screw, If I find anything will get it.

Will this also fix the Mute button problem :D

Hi,

Looks like the sensors are near the ear piece!

iPhone 3G's Sensors Location | kombitz.com

cheers!

This is fixed now(almost):yahoo:.

I dropped my iPhone last night and realised this morning that the earpiece speaker would not work, I had to speak over the speakerphone to be heard. So, I opened up my iPhone again and found that the earpiece ribbon had come loose because of the drop. While I was fixing it, I saw another ribbon connector(labelled J2) that was loose, so googled and came across this thread which told me it is the proximity sensor connector and how to fit it back into place.

See post 5 & 6 on this thread on modmyi: Broken Screen. Fixed. Broken Earspeaker...?

The problem that my phone was having was that while speaking, I would mute the phone when my cheek touched the "Mute" button on the touch screen. The proximity sensor disables the touch screen when something is in close proximity to it - usually your ear or head:).

This is almost fixed, worked well on 4 out of 5 phone calls I made this morning. At the most, it may need opening again and a tight push into its slot.

If I ever sell my iPhone, don't buy it:lol:.

If I ever sell my iPhone, don't buy it:lol:.

Are you gifting me the phone :D, You definitely need to upgrade your phone. A phone with IPS panel, Wireless - N, HD Video Recording

Okay for the Apple suckers - Here's the news on iPhone 4. I would have loved to get it on Day 1, but alas it uses Micro SIM. Anybody got a pair of scissors :p

Hardware Changes