The Movies I Liked

8MM2 [2005]

8MM 2 (Video 2005) - IMDb

David Huxley works in the US embassy at Budapest, Hungary. David plans to marry the Ambassador's daughter Tish for which his would be father-in-law is not too happy. Tish arranges for a nightout at a resort. They end up spending night with a third lady. What follows is a series of interesting events.
Since I was not second guessing the movie, i loved the movie. Definitely worth a watch and probably worth a rewatch just to corroborate the facts.

Watched this yesterday : Quite enjoyable ......

Anonymous

Was Shakespeare a fraud?

Anonymous (2011) - IMDb

MV5BMjAxOTA5MTMxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI4MzU0NQ@@._V1._SX640_SY945_.jpg

Tears of the Sun [2003]

Tears of the Sun (2003) - IMDb

A fairly good Action/Drama movie. Story similar to Black Hawk Down, but here it's the US Navy SEAL fighting with the ruthless military dictator of Nigeria. The action scene are simple and neat with some mixed emotions. And some good score by Hans Zimmer. Worth a watch.

cheers.

Tears of the Sun [2003]

Tears of the Sun (2003) - IMDb

A fairly good Action/Drama movie. Story similar to Black Hawk Down, but here it's the US Navy SEAL fighting with the ruthless military dictator of Nigeria. The action scene are simple and neat with some mixed emotions. And some good score by Hans Zimmer. Worth a watch.

cheers.

had watched this movie quite a long time back. a very well-made movie which certainly deserves being viewed. bruce willis suits well in the role. and its based on a true story.

The Prestige
The Prestige (2006) - IMDb

I have already watched this movie on Dvd 2-3 times. Today I watched it on Blu-ray. Amazing movie. I would say its the best movie that I have ever seen. period.
after the first time when you watch it again, you realize that how tightly script is written keeping in mind that suspense and climax is not revealed upto the last minutes of the movie.
Christian Bale is my fav actor and he has time and again proven that he is the most versatile actor of the past several decades. he is always taking on challenging role with the exception of Batman. every movie he does is a masterpiece. american psycho and the fighter comes immediately to mind.
as for Nolan brothers, well they wrote the inception and memento(original ghajini) as well. so what else is there to say about them except for simply genius. most creative story writers!

i remember whenever i used to start playing this movie, the time when it was released, i used to stop watching it just after 10 mins into the movie. it happened about 3-4 times, and for a long time. i dont know why, but may be because at that time those starting moments didnt appeal to me and i couldnt move further in the story (same thing happened with 'the illusionist'. if i remember, it was the contemporary of 'the prestige', though i still havent given it a viewing).

but just an year back, i again played 'the prestige', determined to complete it, and by the end, i was in plain awe ! esp. so, because one of my favourite personal idols, nikola tesla, was portrayed in the movie, and i could glimpses into the life of that person through that character. apart from that, by the end of it, the story, with its twists and turns, and fantastic build-up of the theme, would completely take you by surprise. a must-watch !

DAS BOOT​

now of-late, i've come to like and recommend to others only those movies that are capable of leaving some long-lasting impressions on your mind. you dont find/get to watch such movies often/frequently, and after some gap, i watched another such movie yesterday :

some of the good points about the movie :

1. words might not do good justice, but the actors have put some of the finest acting i have seen yet in any of the movies ! you've GOT to watch the movie to believe me....

2. a fairly long movie (stands at about 3 hrs and 38 mins - the 'director's cut' edition), but it keeps you well tied and i dont remember a moment when i felt i was losing grip. certainly not one of those 'boringly long' movies.

3. background score - minimal. but wherever you've some BGM, it feels just apt, as well as complements very well the situation in the movie.

4. realism - scenes, esp. crisis scenes, feel starkly real (and dark). you could feel your heart pounding and would not want to move off your couch, anticipating the outcome of each moment as it passes by. also, being a shippy by career, i could well self-identify with the emergency situations shown in the film to quite an extent, and hence it hit hard more to me.

all-in-all, this movie, you would not want to miss ! the ending may seem a bit disappointing (or bizarre), but at the end of it, for the whole day, i could sense some gut-wrenching feeling haunting me heavily. and if possible, watch it in blu-ray, in its full A/V splendour.

Last edited:
^^ "Page Eight" is somewhat similar in its style: A spy movie with loads of intrigue, that shows what the spy game is really like!

J. Edgar [2011]

J. Edgar (2011) - IMDb

A very good Drama/History movie about American politics. Very good performance by Leonardo DeCaprio. The story could have been a bit better, but Leo's performance makes up for it. Good one.

Cheers.

Page Eight [2011]

IMDb - Page Eight (TV 2011)

A very good Drama/Thriller movie about the UK govt. Very good performance by Bill Nighy and Ewen Bremner in a supporting role. The story is interesting with some twists. Cinematography and background score makes the movie more interesting.

cheers.

Arrow, the Ultimate Weapon (aka War of the Arrows) [2011]

War of the Arrows (2011) - IMDb

A very good War/History South Korean movie about a skilled archer who risks his life to save his sister who's taken as slave of the war by Manchurian soldiers. Good action sceens, good cinematography and background score.

Cheers.

Saw a old movie of Sushmita Sen - Samay. A movie that is really worth watching. She is Ms. Malavika, a fantastic police officer holding the rank of ACP. She is asked to solve the mystery of three murders. In every murder the killer leaves a clue that only she can understand. In a short time she realises that she is facing a brilliant serial killer. The only was she can beat the killer is to foretell who he is going to kill next and be present before the killing takes place. She does predict the victim and the time, but she does not know that there are actually 5 killings planned and that she is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A must watch movie. Good performance by Sushmitha and an excellent performance by Jackie Shroff. It is surprising to see such movies in Indian cinema.

Cheers

Last edited:
Saw a old movie of Sushmita Sen - Samay. A movie that is really worth watching. She is Ms. Malavika, a fantastic police officer holding the rank of ACP. She is asked to solve the mystery of three murders. In every murder the killer leaves a clue that only she can understand. In a short time she realises that she is facing a brilliant serial killer. The only was she can beat the killer is to foretell who he is going to kill next and be present before the killing takes place. She does predict the victim and the time, but she does not know that there are actually 5 killings planned and that she is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A must watch movie. Good performance by Sushmitha and an excellent performance by Jackie Shroff. It is surprising to see such movies in Indian cinema.

Cheers

would definitely like to watch this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rum Diary [2011]

The Rum Diary (2011) - IMDb

A good Drama/Thriller movie set in the South American city of Puerto Rico. Story is fair enough, but Johnny Depp does a very good performance. Good cinematography. For all Depp fan's it's a good watch.

Cheers.

Any one seen Hot shots 2? great comedy. actually parody of Rambo.l enjoy when actors do comedy with serious face and serious dialogues.

A few years ago i saw this movie Retroactive. Different concept.
A lady takes a ride with a couple on a highway. one thing leads to another and the husband shoots his wife. however the lady ends up in a research facility where she can time travel backwards (only for 30 mins) and tries to stop the husband but only this time it ends up in few more killings.Again she time travels.This keeps repeating and i forgot the climax :p.

If anyone got these DVD plz lend me...

Last edited:
The Descendants [2011]

The Descendants (2011) - IMDb

A very good Family/Drama movie set in Honolulu. George Clooney's performance is just awesome. The story is very simple, supported with some very good cinematography and background score. Also good performance by Shailene Woodley and Amara Miller.

cheers.

Carnage [2011]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692486/

A very good Black Comedy/Drama movie. The entire movie is verbal, no background score and single location. The story starts off smoothly and eventually slips into chaos, aided by a bottle of Scotch whiskey. Very good performance by all the four actors Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz and John C. Reilly . Climax is a type of predictable, and the movie is worth a watch .

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Machine Gun Preacher (2011) - IMDb

A good true story of a drug dealer named Sam Childers who goes to Africa and changes his life and a lot of other children.

Gerard Butler is good, but seeing the real Sam Childers in the end, I felt a rougher character would have suited the role better.

Quite amazing, esp. as its true story.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back