The Movies I Liked

Wonderful movie!

Also, must watch from the Coen brothers...

Raising Arizona (my first introduction to Nicholas Cage)
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
No Country for Old Men
True Grit

Fargo and No country for old men are top picks for me, they are absolutely stunning
also include THE MAN WHO WASN"T THERE (Billy bob throton is brilliant)

coen brothers (as a director of a film) is perhaps oen of top 10 filmmakers in the post western era.

where is people like STANLEY KRAMER, SIDNEY LUMET, BILLY WILDER, FRED ZINNEMAN, ELIA KAZAN, JOHN FORD, DAVID LEAN, FRANC CAPRA, ROBERT MULLIGAN, FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA, MARTIN SORCESE, OLIVER STONE, STANLEY KUBRICK??????

todays films create less awe, they appeal less, they hardly survive a year, of course there truly grand films in last two decades, but overall.............

A Blu ray disc doesn't make a film great, a great film makes you forget what media you are seeing from

I see loads of 90's and 2000's films, and I have liked many of them, but never got the satisfaction of seeing TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD or THE MALTESE FALCON or THE SAND PEBBLES or JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG or INHERIT THE WIND or CHINATOWN or SUNSET BOULEVARD.....

also include THE MAN WHO WASN"T THERE (Billy bob throton is brilliant)

Thanks, will check it out.

coen brothers (as a director of a film) is perhaps oen of top 10 filmmakers in the post western era.

I also like the Farrelly brothers (There's Something About Mary, Me Myself & Irene, Say It Isn't So, Shallow Hal) and the Wachowski brothers (Matrix trilogy, V for Vendetta).

where is people like STANLEY KRAMER, SIDNEY LUMET, BILLY WILDER, FRED ZINNEMAN, ELIA KAZAN, JOHN FORD, DAVID LEAN, FRANC CAPRA, ROBERT MULLIGAN, FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA, MARTIN SORCESE, OLIVER STONE, STANLEY KUBRICK??????

todays films create less awe, they appeal less, they hardly survive a year, of course there truly grand films in last two decades, but overall.............

A Blu ray disc doesn't make a film great, a great film makes you forget what media you are seeing from

I see loads of 90's and 2000's films, and I have liked many of them, but never got the satisfaction of seeing TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD or THE MALTESE FALCON or THE SAND PEBBLES or JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG or INHERIT THE WIND or CHINATOWN or SUNSET BOULEVARD.....

I've seen most of their work and I would tend to agree but then every generation has its best and its worst. I'm sure even back then there were bad movies and bad directors and you can find good movies/good directors in this generation too. A few who come to mind are Quentin Tarantino (quirky but genius), Ridley Scott (does use SFX but still a visionary genius and what would the world be without the Aliens of course improved on by the next on my list), James Cameroon (need I say anymore... well ok... Avatar, Terminator, Titanic, Aliens may be more SFX than story but still there is a visionary in there who can see beyond the ordinary and draw a canvas in this modern age that only David Lean could do in the previous generation) , David Fincher (one of the best thriller/serial killer genres ever in Se7en, Fight Club), Oliver Stone (love him or hate him but you cannot ignore him and with movies like Platoon and Natural Born Killers he's up there with the best), Christopher Nolan (probably my favorite these days after the wonderful Batman trilogy and Inception), David Lynch (a genius right from Blue Velvet to Mulholland Dr.), Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, Australia), Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen), Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Hellboy II), Peter Jackson (LOTR trilogy, King Kong... personally feel it was as good as the 76 version if not better and I've not seen the old 33 version), Michael Mann (the brilliant Heat & The Insider and the good The Last of the Mohicans), Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Grindhouse), Steven Spielberg (Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can)...

Among actors I believe Tom Hanks, Daniel Day-Lewis, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, John Turturro, Ralph Fiennes, Geoffrey Rush, Clive Owen & Leonardo DiCaprio will be right up there with the very best in any generation considering the roles they have played and their acting abilities.

I'm not even going to get into the actresses... too tired to type.

PS - Its not a rant but I had a similar view about music... most of my listening comes from the 1960s/70s the best era of rock (most of today's hip-hop is garbage) but I had a few on another forum correct me and introduce me to tons of new music/musicians from today (unfortunately they are not on MTV or VH1... they don't fit the profile that the media wants to sell us) but nevertheless great musicians/bands like Fugazi, Carolina Liar, DJ Shadow, and lots more.

Now I know they are out there (both in music and movies)... unfortunately the media wants to sell us their idea of good like Lady Gaga (no offense to any of her fans in this forum but I honestly think she sucks big time)... we just need to dig deeper to find the hidden gems.

Children of Men (2006) - IMDb - Another excellent movie in Clive Owen's repertoire... story is about a post-apocalyptic world in which humans have become infertile and cannot reproduce anymore. Clive Owen has to ensure the safety of a young woman who has become pregnant in this world. Julianne Moore, Chiwetel Ejiofor, & Michael Caine are along for the ride.

PS - A bit dark and not to everyone's liking... but nevertheless an excellent movie.

Lockout (2012) - IMDb - A thoroughly enjoyable movie and definitely recommended! The chatter between the two leads Guy Pearce & Maggie Grace is hilarious Heres an apple, and a gun dont talk to strangers, shoot them. goes one such line from Guy Pearce to Maggie Grace.

Plot - Well not much to it... the President's daughter is kidnapped on a space station prison and the hero is sent with the mission to rescue her. Lots of action & explosions later mission accomplished.

Special mention to Vincent Regan & Joseph Gilgun who play the bad guys and brothers... Vincent Regan is perfectly cast as the brainy criminal who knows how to run things and Joseph Gilgun is a crazy psycho who derives pleasure in shooting and killing.

I definitely had a blast watching it and thanks to aneelr for sharing!

Thanks, will check it out.
I've seen most of their work and I would tend to agree but then every generation has its best and its worst. I'm sure even back then there were bad movies and bad directors and you can find good movies/good directors in this generation too. A few who come to mind are Quentin Tarantino (quirky but genius), Ridley Scott (does use SFX but still a visionary genius and what would the world be without the Aliens of course improved on by the next on my list), James Cameroon (need I say anymore... well ok... Avatar, Terminator, Titanic, Aliens may be more SFX than story but still there is a visionary in there who can see beyond the ordinary and draw a canvas in this modern age that only David Lean could do in the previous generation) , David Fincher (one of the best thriller/serial killer genres ever in Se7en, Fight Club), Oliver Stone (love him or hate him but you cannot ignore him and with movies like Platoon and Natural Born Killers he's up there with the best), Christopher Nolan (probably my favorite these days after the wonderful Batman trilogy and Inception), David Lynch (a genius right from Blue Velvet to Mulholland Dr.), Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, Australia), Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen), Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Hellboy II), Peter Jackson (LOTR trilogy, King Kong... personally feel it was as good as the 76 version if not better and I've not seen the old 33 version), Michael Mann (the brilliant Heat & The Insider and the good The Last of the Mohicans), Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Grindhouse), Steven Spielberg (Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can)...

We all have our own opinions, I haven't said or don't think that 90's 2000's films are all bad, all I said was 50's,60's and 70's overall appeal more to me, they fascinate me more. There are splendid directors in every decade.

I don't put 300, King Kong, Watchmen, Australia in the same list as Schindler's list or Platoon.... They are way ahead in quality
I don't think all the directors that you have mentioned are genius.
Yes there are many many below par films of 50's 60's 70's 80's
May be I should put it this way - there are stunning films in every decades and I am yet to see (many) those of 90's 2000's, Probably I have seen more from before 80's

Among actors I believe Tom Hanks, Daniel Day-Lewis, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, John Turturro, Ralph Fiennes, Geoffrey Rush, Clive Owen & Leonardo DiCaprio will be right up there with the very best in any generation considering the roles they have played and their acting abilities.

True, I really like almost all from your list, most of them are exceptionally brilliant. But, now if I say Robert de niro, Al pacino, Spencer tracey, Jack nicolson, Steve Mcqueen, Humphrey Bogart, Dustin Hoffman, Paul newman, William holden no list will even come close to this.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of Ralph Finnes (In bruges,English patient, constant gardener, strange days, schindler's list.....) Danniel Day lewis and so on but all their performances are eclipsed by Marlon Brando in Apocalypse now or Al pacino in Scent of a woman or henry fonda in 12 angry men or spencer tracey in guess who's coming to dinner......

May be I am biased, and if that is so forgive me for my
sin :)

BTW BDs are fantastic but quite wallet draining, looking froward to score a century of BDs

Last edited:
An Officer and a Gentleman (1982) - IMDb - Classic story about a misguided youth on his way to becoming an officer and a gentleman. Richard Gere makes the role his own. Debra Winger is beautiful and her onscreen chemistry with Gere works great and Louis Gossett Jr. is perfect in his Oscar winning role.

Definitely recommended for any Richard Gere fan and for anyone wanting 80s action/romance.

BTW BDs are fantastic but quite wallet draining, looking froward to score a century of BDs

A century... wow!

I have a few but mostly classics as well as the usual trilogies like Matrix, LOTR, Bourne, Transformers, Mummy, etc.

Urban Cowboy (1980) - IMDb - John Travolta plays a cowboy who moves to the city, finds love, loses it and then has to fight for that love. Debra Winger plays the love interest. A younger Scott Glenn plays the bad guy. Good movie, but the soundtrack is excellent. The best country soundtrack I've come across and quite a few songs are played in the movie.

Any country lovers... highly recommended to get this soundtrack album.

can anyone suggest some good rom coms or sex com or teen com?? i need such movies for time pass .i have already watch most of them , like 21 jump street,this means war , fockers , all american pie , euro trip or road trip ,shallow hal , something in this line of work :)

thanks

Watched Shooter on Blu-ray.

A good and enjoyable movie. Great visuals effects, audio is mere DD5.1 so the depth was missing.

Overall, good.

455_large.jpg

can anyone suggest some good rom coms or sex com or teen com?? i need such movies for time pass .i have already watch most of them , like 21 jump street,this means war , fockers , all american pie , euro trip or road trip ,shallow hal , something in this line of work :)

thanks

All Ashton Kutcher movies like - No Strings Attached, What Happens in Vegas, My Boss's Daughter, Just Married, Dude, Where's My Car? (these I've seen but I'm assuming the rest will be similar).

I recently saw a couple, Friends With Benefits & Crazy Stupid Love (good movie).

From the many I've seen in the past, these I remember off the top of my head...

Serendipity, Valentine's Day, He's Just Not That Into You, The Wedding Singer, When Harry Met Sally, Forget Paris, She's All That, Never Been Kissed, 10 Things I Hate About You (like this movie), How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Proposal, Maid in Manhattan, Clueless (good movie), Bridget Jones's Diary (both parts), The Notebook (good movie), Coyote Ugly, Love And Other Drugs, & The Vow.

The best teen/high school romance of the 80s - Can't Buy Me Love
The best teen/high school romance of the 90s - Drive Me Crazy (you have seen American Pie).

Edit - There's Something About Mary!!!

Last edited:
All Ashton Kutcher movies like - No Strings Attached, What Happens in Vegas, My Boss's Daughter, Just Married, Dude, Where's My Car? (these I've seen but I'm assuming the rest will be similar).

I recently saw a couple, Friends With Benefits & Crazy Stupid Love (good movie).

From the many I've seen in the past, these I remember off the top of my head...

Serendipity, Valentine's Day, He's Just Not That Into You, The Wedding Singer, When Harry Met Sally, Forget Paris, She's All That, Never Been Kissed, 10 Things I Hate About You (like this movie), How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Proposal, Maid in Manhattan, Clueless (good movie), Bridget Jones's Diary (both parts), The Notebook (good movie), Coyote Ugly, Love And Other Drugs, & The Vow.

The best teen/high school romance of the 80s - Can't Buy Me Love
The best teen/high school romance of the 90s - Drive Me Crazy (you have seen American Pie).

Edit - There's Something About Mary!!!

thanks a lot i , have watched some of these , will watch some i did not , will see those :)

MV5BMTg5MTc5MTM3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI2NzgwNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Storyline

In 1941, three men reach India from Tibet, having walked 4000 miles after escaping a Siberian gulag. The film tells their story and that of four others who escaped with them and a teenage girl who joins them in flight. The group's natural leader is Janusz, a Pole condemned by accusations secured by torturing his wife; he knows how to live in the wilds. They escape under cover of a snowstorm: a cynical American, a Russian thug, a comic accountant, a pastry chef who draws, a priest, and a Pole with night blindness. They face freezing nights, lack of food and water, mosquitoes, an endless desert, the Himalayas, and moral questions of when to leave someone behind.

The Way Back (2010) - IMDb

V.

Last edited:
A century... wow!

I have a few but mostly classics as well as the usual trilogies like Matrix, LOTR, Bourne, Transformers, Mummy, etc.

I will welcome everyone to the centurian's club. I reached there a few month's ago.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

thanks

Watch >

Amlie ( Can't recommend it high enough !!!!!!)

40 year old virgin

A fish called wanda

Four Weddings and a Funeral

The Proposal (2009)

The Hangover

Superbad

10 Things I Hate About You

Adventureland

Definitely, Maybe

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle

Old School

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan ( Not romantic but comedy satire at its best, not to be watched with family)

Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, Little FOckers

There's Something About Mary

Bridget Jone's Diary

Jerry Maguire

Love Me If You Dare

My Sassy Girl (2001)

The Age of Beauty

Girl on the Bridge

Jamon Jamon ( ;) I would watch it Alone !!!)

Pitch Black (2000) - IMDb

A troupe of space travelers crash on a strange planet. Among the group of survived is notorious criminal Riddick. But he is not the only threat to the remaining people.

One of the best horror/sci-fi movies without the Aliens kind of budget. Vin Diesel was perfect as Riddick. I even liked the sequel The Chronicles of Riddick (2004) - IMDb but commercially it did not do too well... so the next installment has been delayed for so long.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back