The Movies I Liked

I haven't been traveling internationally of late. When I did, I ended up buying 15-20 at a time. But now my enthusiasm is slightly on the wane. I also have over 200 DVD titles too and don't feel the need to convert them to BD.

I haven't been traveling internationally of late. When I did, I ended up buying 15-20 at a time. But now my enthusiasm is slightly on the wane. I also have over 200 DVD titles too and don't feel the need to convert them to BD.

Ditto here... I have over 200 DVDs and quite a few of them with DTS that I picked up on my travels abroad. Now I don't feel like starting over with all of them on BD. Thankfully, my brother in law is a collector so I borrow from him... I do have a few collections on BD, in the range of 30.

In this week....

The Good

Children of Heaven (1997)

Simple, yet remarkable.

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)

I usually find movies which are completely predictable just boring. But, I'll make an exception for this Capra film. It goes exactly the way you know it will, but it is interesting.

The Weird - Not for everybody

Videodrome (1983)

David Cronenberg's movie reminds me of the likes of Eraserhead and Pi, though Videodrome is more 'normal' than those two. As a small television station owner in search of ratings by any means necessary, James woods comes across a weird transmission called Videodrome. What it is and what it 'actually' does (or does it?) forms the rest of the movie. Not for people who cannot stand bizarre hallucinatory settings.

The Devils (1971)

Ken Russell film about the Loudun possessions which was controversial and banned in several countries (See Wiki). Of course, anything about religion + controversy naturally arouses interest and I had to watch it. Good performance by Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave. Some IMDB comments have called it a masterpiece, though I would not go as far - just a rarely known film with somewhat good and slightly creepy take on the matter.

A Serbian Film (2010)

I was scared that I will lose a part of myself after watching this film. Purely in terms of violence and gore, it is not that much, but it's not comical like 'Human Centipede' (which had a vomit inducing idea, but was just a terrible film with bad acting). I still feel that 'Martyrs' and 'Inside' are better and well executed.

Srpski film certainly is sick, disturbing, disgusting and some of the things are a perverted attempt at pushing the boundaries just for the sake of it. But, apart from a few uncomfortable, unsettling scenes (at 55:00 and towards the end), I made it through without damaging my psyche or sleep. I have already forgotten about it and moved on.

The "Dont-Get"s

Balkan Spy (1984)

Thankfully, a Serbian film everyone can watch. It's mostly a comedy which has doses of seriousness. I don't get why it's in IMDB's Top 50 Drama list though. When secret police ask routine questions about his tenant, Cvorovic assumes the worst. Suspecting his tenant to be a spy, his imagination, misinterpretations and paranoia builds up through out the film.

Sullivan's Travels (1941)

Promising start with a Hollywood director setting out to find about poverty as he wants to make movies for the depressed times. He sure travels, meets with Veronica Lake (the one good part of the movie for me), gets caught up in weird situations and so on and so forth and then.....movie ends without me learning anything about IF Sullivan learned anything. While I liked parts of it, but didn't get that 'classic' vibe anywhere during the film.

Ghost in the Shell (1995)

Sometimes, the problem with anime is that you need to read the manga or watch a series to completely 'get' it. As an outsider, this anime had everything (nude cyborg cops, futuristic setting, philosophy, action, even a 3 minute song sequence where nothing much happens), but felt a bit hollow, incomplete. I felt like it told the shell of a story, but the 'flesh' which should fill in was missing.

The Forgettable

Crank (2006)

The Day after Tomorrow (2004)

Typical, average Hollywood disaster movie - only the dumb characters in the movie smartly (or luckily) survive a giant natural disaster leaving the world a disastrous place to live in than before the disaster.

[REC] 3: Genesis (2012)

I really like [REC]. I was a bit let down when [REC] 2 decided to bring the usual God and Devil equation into it (why can't it be JUST a contagion, an unknown?), but it was at least a good sequel. Even with the same director at the helm, the third one deteriorates into mediocrity. Why in the blue hell does anyone who can plainly see that mommy dearest has turned into a zombie go into a sentimental freeze (and not run for their lives)? Why do brain dead characters do the same exact dumb thing for the 32478th time in horror films?

Just finished watching Iron Sky (Iron Sky: Watch the Official Theatrical Trailer!). Recommended if you enjoy comedy/sci-fi/political satire.

Don't worry about the IMDB ratings. The movie offends quite a few people so I am not surprised (there is even an Indian in a clownish role).

Iron sky is really a funny movie. I liked it. It mocks many politicians and scientists.

Has been on my list for a while now but I've putting it off due to the negative reviews. Hopefully soon!

WARRIOR! bloody inspirational and a tear jerker

215px-Warrior_Poster.jpg

Saw a lot of movies while travelling internationally the last three weeks.

The ones I liked

The chick flicks -
Love's Kitchen (2011) - IMDb
A surprisingly good film. Very light and breezy. The chemistry between the lead actors is good (it helps that they are married :)). Nice cameo from Gordon Ramsay (hence the take on Hells Kitchen). Not a great script, but the situations and the acting make up for it.

Think Like a Man (2012) - IMDb
A bit stereotypical of a book having the secret of how man thinks and lets the woman control their men and vice versa when the men find it out. Nice end, good time pass

The action/thriller films
Prometheus (2012) - IMDb
Missed in the big screen, the A380 widescreen was not big enough for this. The action is excellent, although this Scifi has more thrills than raw action. Keeps you gripped till the end. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Get the Gringo (2012) - IMDb
This in the flight with the alternate title 'How I spent my summer vacation'
Set in a Mexican jail, Mel Gibson gets gritty and manages to survive as well as get his revenge as also save his new young friend.

Safe (2012) - IMDb
Standard Jason statham fare, great for fans, good timepass for the rest. A young chinese girl is taken by the Triads for her phenomenal memory and holds a crucial key which the russians as well as the corrupt cops are after. Enter Jason, who now works as a iron cage fighter, who keeps losing but manages to knockout the champ, causing a big loss to the russian warlord. On the run, the two meet up and plan their escape.

Gone (2012) - IMDb
A good thriller of a girl who had escaped from a serial killer and is still haunted by it. When her sister is missing, she suspects it to be the serial killer but no one including the cops who think she is crazy and that there is no kidnap. Has some interesting twists and you sometimes think who is telling the truth.

Comedy/Indie
Safety Not Guaranteed (2012) - IMDb
This is an indie movie by the guys who made Juno and Little Miss Sunshine. It all starts with an ad which says he needs someone to travel back in time, get your firearms and safety not guaranteed. A journalist takes two interns to investigate and its an interesting journey they get into. Very strange in some aspects, but nice in an unpredictable way.

Dark Shadows (2012) - IMDb
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp collaborate to have a Vampire come back after 200 years to help his family regain their fortune.

Average movies
- Saw two takes on Snow white, the funny one Mirror Mirror (2012) - IMDb is ok, but the grim one Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) - IMDb is a bit too dark for my liking.

Also, I liked the Hunger Games, but it has been reviewed earlier.

The movie which i like is TITANIC. I watch this movie in 3d format at PVR cinema and i must say that i never feel the real experience of watching 3d movies like that. It was awesome and heads off to James Cameron.

The movie which i like is TITANIC. I watch this movie in 3d format at PVR cinema and i must say that i never feel the real experience of watching 3d movies like that. It was awesome and heads off to James Cameron.
So you are sure you want to take your heads off rather than your hat?
Such desperation to increase post count.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back