The Movies I Liked

Iron Man 2 [2010]

Iron Man 2 (2010) - IMDb

A nice Action movie. The story is complete crap compared to the first movie. The seriousness of the character "Iron Man" is lost in the movie. But the cinematography and sound mixing is done really well. VFX is good. Robert Downey Jr. ws good with his dialogues and Scarlett Johansson ( Natasha Romanoff) action scene was the best of all.

Bel Ami [2012]

Bel Ami (2012) - IMDb

A Drama movie about journalist's corrupt rise to power. Story is okay type, good cinematography. Watch it if your a fan of Robert Pattinson.

Caf [2011]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1436572/

Another Drama movie that takes place inside a corner cafe. Story is a timepass, watch if anyone of you is a fan of Jennifer Love Hewitt

Cheers.

Last edited:
Bridge to Terabithia (2007) - IMDb

Jesse Aarons trained all summer to become the fastest runner in school, so he's very upset when newcomer Leslie Burke outruns him and everyone else. Despite this and other differences, including that she's rich, he's poor, and she's a city girl, he's a country boy, the two become fast friends. Together, they create Terabithia, a land of monsters, trolls, ogres, and giants and rule as king and queen.

The Man Who Would Be King (1975) - IMDb

Two British soldiers in India decide to resign from the Army and set themselves up as deities in Kafiristan--a land where no white man has set foot since Alexander.

Towelhead (2007) - IMDb

Against the backdrop of the first Gulf War, Jasira Maroun is 13, physically well developed but nave and unable to say no. As puberty arrives, her mother sends her from Syracuse to Houston to her curt, up-tight, Lebanese-born father. Over the next few months, Jasira must navigate her father's strict indifference, her discovery of sexual pleasure, the casual racism of a neighbor boy and her classmates, the sexual advances of the boy's father, the proffered friendship of a pregnant neighbor, and her attraction to Thomas, an African-American classmate whom her father forbids her to see. Things happen to her, but can she take responsibility and control, or is tragedy inevitable?

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - IMDb

A man, Joel Barish, heartbroken that his girlfriend Clementine underwent a procedure to erase him from her memory, decides to do the same. However, as he watches his memories of her fade away, he realizes that he still loves her, and may be too late to correct his mistake

Chinatown on Blu-ray. A great movie with exceptional acting by Jack Nicholson.

I am very much thankful to "bluraymaniac" for recommending this movie on Blu-ray. Worth the purchase. Let more recommendations flow.

34904_large.jpg

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (2012) - IMDb

Alex is home sick. The friends decide to return to their home zoo and for the journey they seek the help of a Circus. The film is very funny and many imdb users opine that this is better than the previous two episodes.

The Mist (2007) - IMDb

A mysterious mist envelopes a small town which brings in blood thirsty aliens. This movie got a high imdb rate just because of the climax which some may like and some may not. I could easily guess what the climax will be.

The Dictator (2012) - IMDb

Aladeen, the 'Supreme Leader' of 'Wadia' is abducted and replaced by a double while his visit to the UN. Can he regain his power?. Funny movie.

Serenity (2005) - IMDb - A movie followup of Firefly. It stands on its own as a sci-fi movie but will Firefly fans will enjoy it more. Summer Glau transforms into an action hero and literally takes down a roomful of bad guys in minutes. Nathan Fillion is great as Mal, the fearless and courageous captain of Serenity. Chiwetel Ejiofor is an addition in the movie as the bad guy.

Chinatown on Blu-ray. A great movie with exceptional acting by Jack Nicholson.

I am very much thankful to "bluraymaniac" for recommending this movie on Blu-ray. Worth the purchase. Let more recommendations flow.

34904_large.jpg

watch

Mississippi Burning - Jene Hackman and William Dafoe - no BD yet, only DVD

The Dirty Dozen - Lee Marvin - BD

JFK - Oliver Stones' one of the finest yet underrated - BD

trust me you won't regret a bit

Primal Fear (1996) - IMDb - An excellent psychological thriller about an altar boy who is accused of murdering a priest and his lawyer out to prove his innocence.

Richard Gere as the lawyer is excellent and Edward Norton as the altar boy is brilliant in his debut.

Highly recommended!

The Untouchables (1987) - IMDb - One of the best gangster movies ever! Based on the true story of Eliot Ness bringing down the gangster Al Capone. A young Kevin Costner supported by Sean Connery, & Andy Garcia.

Not to be missed... the fight in the train station is a classic.

The Dictator (2012) - IMDb

Aladeen, the 'Supreme Leader' of 'Wadia' is abducted and replaced by a double while his visit to the UN. Can he regain his power?. Funny movie.

After following the pre-release hype and promos for about six months, I found the movie somewhat diasspointing. Too many random jokes thrown around in the hope that some will stick. The promos, especially ones that involved interviews and live appearences, were far better. (If you haven't done already, check out his interview with Larry King and another one by some Aussie channel).

I love Sasha's work. Ali G was a classic. Borat was good too. But nothing he has done since measures up. I am beginning to feel he is far better at impromptu banter than at scripted roles. Unfortunately, he is too famous now for a repeat of Ali G.

I hope he finds a production team that can use his talents.

A must watch for HT owners, you will be amazed by the Sound Track.

The Red Violin (1998)

The Red Violin (1998) - IMDb

Plot> There is a thriller element which I have not mentioned. Watch it.

In 1998, in Montreal, the "Red Violin" is being auctioned. Nobody really knows the history of this instrument made by the Italian master Bussoti. In the seventeenth century, it created the perfect violin for his future son. Unfortunately, he dies at birth, taking the mother. Bussoti, mad with grief, his violin varnish with the blood of his dead wife to give him his soul. From then on, the "Red Violin" through the centuries, causing worship, madness or death of those in his possession.

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (2012) - IMDb

Alex is home sick. The friends decide to return to their home zoo and for the journey they seek the help of a Circus. The film is very funny and many imdb users opine that this is better than the previous two episodes.

Hi baijuxavior,

Nice to here you liked this movie, Did you know a part of this movie was done in India, Bangalore, and a few of us from that crew are a member here in this forum.

cheers.

Two of Val Kilmer's best movies...

The Saint (1997) - IMDb - A very good thriller with Val Kilmer playing a hi-tech thief and Elisabeth Shue playing a scientist. Lots of fun with good action... don't go by the average IMDB rating... its good fun.

The Ghost and the Darkness (1996) - IMDb - Val Kilmer plays an engineer constructing a railroad bridge in Africa when the workers are attacked by 2 man-eating lions. Michael Douglas plays a hunter who helps to hunt down and kill the lions. A good thriller based on a true story. You will also recognize Om Puri in the cast.

A few of the movies I've seen over the weekend...

The Wolfman (2010) - IMDb - Good premise but not very well implemented. The SFX though are excellent. Benicio Del Toro plays a werewolf and Anthony Hopkins his father who too turns into a werewolf during full moon. Benicio's brother is missing and his fiancee Emily Blunt asks for his help in tracking down the missing brother/fiance. Good to watch it once though it could have been better with starts like Anthony Hopkins & Benicio Del Toro.

When Harry Met Sally... (1989) - IMDb - One of my favorite movies (shamelessly ripped off by Bollywood in Hum Tum). The story is about a guy and a girl who meet in college and don't get along but then meet a few more times over the next few years and become the best of friends and then finally fall in love. Both Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan are brilliant and the comedy and chemistry between them is great. Answers the age old question... can a man and woman be just friends? Give it a watch, you'll love it.

Hidalgo (2004) - IMDb - Not a very high rating on IMDB but I liked it very much (blame it on watching it with my niece who loved it). Viggo Mortensen plays a cowboy who participates in a 3000 mile race with his mustang (horse not car) Hidalgo and has to challenge the best Arabian horses and riders to win the title to prove that he is the best rider along with his horse in the entire world. Highly entertaining adventure with good performances from Viggo Mortensen and his horse (he reportedly bought it after the movie) and a cameo by the legendary Omar Sharif.

Eastern Promises (2007) - IMDb - Another Viggo Mortensen movie in which he plays a Russian mobster. The story starts with a young Russian teenager giving birth to a girl and dying in the hospital. She leaves behind a diary which tells her story. Naomi Watts plays the midwife who helps deliver the baby and after reading the diary wants justice for the dead Russian teenager and her young baby. This is not an action gangster movie but more of a peep into the dark underbelly of the Russian mafia in London and how they traffic young teenage girls into western countries and turn them into prostitutes and drug addicts. Definitely not a pleasant movie that everyone can sit through but should go well with the serious film buffs. Naomi Watts is pretty and does a decent job, Viggo Mortensen delivers an excellent performance of a character with many shades. Also, fine performances by Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller-Stahl.

The Expendables 2 [2012]

The Expendables 2 (2012) - IMDb

A time pass Action movie. Bad compared to the first movie. Story is not so interesting and so was Schwarzenegger, Stallone and Willis performances. The only 2 characters entertaining was Statham and Jet Li. Van Damme was good to some extent. Cinematography and Sound mixing were good. A one time watchable.

Stolen [2012]

Stolen (2012) - IMDb

A very good Action movie. Story is good , would seem a bit silly at start but later on the story goes well. Cinematography is good and nice performance by Nicolas Cage.

Cheers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back