The Movies I Liked

Half Past Dead - Action / Adventure

The story is about a secret worth $ 200 million, and an invading group of commandos will not let the fortune go up in smoke. FBI has to neutralize the situation and rescue a supreme court justice held hostage.

Venkat, thank you for the information on Death Race.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: About half of the bones in the human body are located in the hands and feet.

Clear And Present Danger - Harrison Ford

The story is about the CIA investigate the murder of one of the president's friends, a prominent U.S. businessman with secret ties to Colombian drug cartels.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: Muscles make up about half of the human body weight.

Leaving Las Vegas - Love Story (Academy Award Winner)

Starring Nicolas Cage - Elisabeth Shue

The story is about a career alcholic who has hit rock bottom. Trashing all personal and professional ties to his L.A. existence, he sets off for the lights of Vegas on a mission: to drink himself to death. There he meets a beautiful hooker, they form a unique bond.

Vinay.

Amazing Facts: There are 206 bones in a human skeleton

Last edited:
Another movie that is bound to test the capabilities of any LCD/Plasma panel is 'The Fountain'. Hugh Jackman stars in this with Rachel Weisz. Its a very different sort of movie. It could leave us in an introspective frame of mind.

Guillermo Del Torro makes fantastic movies. They look gorgeous and they feel the say way too. Pan's Labyrinth is a layered movie. I would even draw parallels with that seminal work 'Alice in Wonderland' insofar as the many meanings one can derive from it. A child is the main character in it but the sensitivity that the director portrays in etching that character is amazing. Must watch movie.

On the same lines, 'The Orphanage' from the same director is also gut wrenching. Powerful thriller drama. It has the capability and speed to keep you riveted to the seat. And the leading lady Belen Rueda has come up with a commanding performance.

Last edited:
Midnight Express - Drama

Presentation Size: 4 X 3

It is a true story of a young American's nightmarish experiences in a Turkish prison and his unforgettable journey to freedom. Busted for attempting to smuggle hashish out of Istanbul, after suffering through four years of sadistic torture and inhuman conditions, he is about to be released when his parole is denied, only his inner courage and the support of a fellow inmate gives him the strength to catch the "MIDNIGHT EXPRESS"... and escape his living hell.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: It is impossible to lick one's elbow.

Watched this amazing movie:

200px-Amores_perros_poster.jpg

The film has three distinct love(?) stories interconnected by a car accident. The stories are mult-layered as are the characters. They are complex, brutal, hideous, cruel, loving....you name it, you get it. The three stories are woven tightly with some brilliant performances and excellent direction which keeps you engrossed from beginning to the end. The only drawback (if you really want to nitpick) is, the movie is in spanish, and you'll need to go through English sub titles.

Fail to understand how this missed out at the oscars. Absolute must watch. 9/10.

Anyone has any recommendations of movies on similar lines, let me know. Its sheer pleasure to watch such brilliance in cinema

Guillermo Del Torro makes fantastic movies. They look gorgeous and they feel the say way too. Pan's Labyrinth is a layered movie. I would even draw parallels with that seminal work 'Alice in Wonderland' insofar as the many meanings one can derive from it. A child is the main character in it but the sensitivity that the director portrays in etching that character is amazing. Must watch movie.

On the same lines, 'The Orphanage' from the same director is also gut wrenching. Powerful thriller drama. It has the capability and speed to keep you riveted to the seat. And the leading lady Belen Rueda has come up with a commanding performance.

I love Del Toro's works, both of the above were amazing!
You should definitely watch this older del toro film if you havent already -
The Devil's Backbone - Espinazo del diablo, El (2001)

cheers!

Watched this amazing movie:

200px-Amores_perros_poster.jpg

The film has three distinct love(?) stories interconnected by a car accident. The stories are mult-layered as are the characters. They are complex, brutal, hideous, cruel, loving....you name it, you get it. The three stories are woven tightly with some brilliant performances and excellent direction which keeps you engrossed from beginning to the end. The only drawback (if you really want to nitpick) is, the movie is in spanish, and you'll need to go through English sub titles.

Fail to understand how this missed out at the oscars. Absolute must watch. 9/10.

Anyone has any recommendations of movies on similar lines, let me know. Its sheer pleasure to watch such brilliance in cinema

I liked 21 grams better than amorres perros (both directed by inarritu and similar story lines). amazing movie nonetheless.

I would recommend these similar movies (read reviews before you decide!)
  1. The air I breathe
  2. Before the devil knows you are dead
  3. 13 conversations about 1 thing
  4. 11:14
  5. shortcuts
  6. magnolia
  7. crash

Cheers!

Last edited:
I liked 21 grams better than amorres perros (both directed by inarritu and similar story lines). amazing movie nonetheless.

I would recommend these similar movies (read reviews before you decide!)
  1. The air I breathe
  2. Before the devil knows you are dead
  3. 13 conversations about 1 thing
  4. 11:14
  5. shortcuts
  6. magnolia
  7. crash

Cheers!

Thanks mate. I've seen crash in this list. Actually after watching amores perros, I was wondering if crash borrowed a thing or two from this ? The narration was way too similar to be a co-incidence :P

21 grams huh ? Will check that out. And the others too. Thanks again :)

Dostana - A Karan Johar Presentation

I did not like the movie much but quality of the DVD was quite good.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: All the planets in the solar system, except venus, rotate anticlockwise.

Monster Balls - Drama
A life time of change can happen in a single moment.

Staring Halle Berry, Billy Bob Thornton

It is about a career corrections officer, he heads the death row squad watching over the condemned and when the need arises, pressing over their executions, there is a lot of family drama.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in India.

Monster's Ball... Yeah a great movie!

Monster Balls - Drama
A life time of change can happen in a single moment.

Staring Halle Berry, Billy Bob Thornton

It is about a career corrections officer, he heads the death row squad watching over the condemned and when the need arises, pressing over their executions, there is a lot of family drama.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in India.

Vinay, also take a look at Dogville. It has a shattering performance from Nicole Kidman and I believe it is an object lesson for directors and producers as to how to make a powerful movie with the least amount of cost.

It is purely drama. I do not know that everybody would like it. But as far as cinema of the drama genre is concerned it is right up there in my list.

Saw 'Eye For An Eye' starring Sally Field, Keifer Sutherland, and Ed Harris.

Sally acts as Karen McCann who lives a very simple life with her husband Mack McCann (Played by Ed Harris) and two children, both girls. The elder girl is 17 years old. One day when returning from office, Karen is talking to her elder daughter on the phone when she hears someone enter her house, rape her daughter, and kill her.

The killer, Robert Doob, (played by Keifer Sutherland) is caught but released immediately on a simple technicality. In a fit of anger, Karen starts following Robert and sees him planning another rape and murder. She goes to the police, but the police threaten her saying Robert is a free man, and she could be in trouble for following him. Deciding to do something herself, Karen trains herself on self defense and to shoot.

The movie starts well, but teethers into being a mediocre movie after the first 30 minutes. Sally plays her role well. I was surprised that Ed Harris plays such a secondary and useless role after his superb performances in movies such as Apollo 13 and, more important, The Rock. I was expecting Ed to turn out to be hero, but was badly disappointed.

The only light in the movie is Keifer's acting where he plays the role of Robert with panache and comes across as a menacing cheapo who looks at all women with lust clearly visible in his eyes.

Cheers

Million Dollar Baby - Action (4 Academy Awards) Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor.

Clint Eastwood, Hilary Swank, Morgan Freeman

The movie is about boxing.

It is about training and managing some incredible fighters , the most important lesson taught is the one that rules his life, above all, always protect yourself.

Thevortex, thanks about the story line of Dogville, i like drama based movies.

Moserw, i had liked Monster Balls a lot, i will see it again after a few months.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: Sanskrit is the mother of all higher languages. It is precise and thus it is a suitable language for writing computer software.

Couple of days before I saw Changeling, directed by Clint Eastwood. Outstanding true story. Guys do watch it:D

Into The Blue - Thriller

Treasure Has It's Price

Starring Paul Walker - Jessica Alba

It is a story about the two divers who dream of finding hidden treasure, when they take some friends on this extreme sport adventure, they run into sharks and a pirate ship rumored to contain millions of dollars in gold, and how a ruthless gang of deadly criminals come to know of this treasure, followed with good action scenes.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: The smallest bird in the world is the hummingbird. It weights about 35 grams.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back