The Movies I Liked

Julieta was beautifully directed by Pedro Almodovar.

Julieta was a good film, but it wasn't as good as some of his earlier ones. In case you haven't watched anything other than "Skin I live in", I suggest you check out his movies starting from "Live Flesh", especially "Talk to Her" and "All about my mother". I asked earlier for recommendations from Early Almodovar (around the period of "Women on the verge..") and I managed to catch "Tie me up, Tie me down" - something that won't work in the present politically correct times :). Do watch it too!

however there is one major rule to every movie, it should stir up your senses and emotions, in a way that you are entertained

I have a slightly different take on that. Entertainment is definitely one of my requirements. If I am tired or bored or want to get away from what I am doing, that is the only requirement. But certainly not at all times.

I would liken movies to food. Different taste buds, different tastes, different ways to satisfy. Sometimes, you don't even know such a taste can exist. Sometimes, you are skeptical whether you will like something, but after giving it a chance, you have expanded your palate just a little more. If you dislike it, you have lost a couple of hours. However, if you like it, you gain a little something. To me, that kind of risk is always worth taking. That is why I keep exploring, especially in areas outside my comfort zone.

I am also (too) flexible about rules and apply different set of rules for different set of films. I don't judge a Bergman film by the same yardstick I use for 'Rogue One' and certainly not the one I'd use for "The Giant Claw". All of these excite me, the same way you'd feel about an entertaining movie (You can just say I have "Multiple Movie Personality Syndrome"?).

I tend to do shallow fishing in many areas without becoming 'an expert' in any particular zone. So, I tend to know a little about everything from silent movies to art-house to anime to exploitation flicks to blockbusters, just enough to know how to ask for recommendations from experts. So, it always feels like I have a very long way to go and lots to explore. It just is more fun for me this way (even if nobody else sees it as such :p)

I have a slightly different take on that. Entertainment is definitely one of my requirements. If I am tired or bored or want to get away from what I am doing, that is the only requirement. But certainly not at all times.

I would liken movies to food. Different taste buds, different tastes, different ways to satisfy. Sometimes, you don't even know such a taste can exist. Sometimes, you are skeptical whether you will like something, but after giving it a chance, you have expanded your palate just a little more. If you dislike it, you have lost a couple of hours. However, if you like it, you gain a little something. To me, that kind of risk is always worth taking. That is why I keep exploring, especially in areas outside my comfort zone.

I am also (too) flexible about rules and apply different set of rules for different set of films. I don't judge a Bergman film by the same yardstick I use for 'Rogue One' and certainly not the one I'd use for "The Giant Claw". All of these excite me, the same way you'd feel about an entertaining movie (You can just say I have "Multiple Movie Personality Syndrome"?).

I tend to do shallow fishing in many areas without becoming 'an expert' in any particular zone. So, I tend to know a little about everything from silent movies to art-house to anime to exploitation flicks to blockbusters, just enough to know how to ask for recommendations from experts. So, it always feels like I have a very long way to go and lots to explore. It just is more fun for me this way (even if nobody else sees it as such :p)

Mmmm quite complex set of rules ... lol ... I keep it simple .... as you say my taste buds if are stimulated, in what ever way (no matter what the genre is) I conclude I was entertained, and yes as you said for me as well, the yardstick to measure how much my buds were stimulated will differ with a movie like "Rogue One" as again to a movie like say "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", but in both the scenarios, my taste buds (or senses and emotions) were stimulated, and hence I rated both the movies very high, even though the yardstick was different.
On the other hand, a movie like Primer or Prometheus how so ever intellectual and technical (former) OR supposedly thrilling (latter) claimed to be, did not stimulate my taste buds at all and hence were utter BORING for me and were rated quite low .....:)

Julieta was a good film, but it wasn't as good as some of his earlier ones. In case you haven't watched anything other than "Skin I live in", I suggest you check out his movies starting from "Live Flesh", especially "Talk to Her" and "All about my mother". I asked earlier for recommendations from Early Almodovar (around the period of "Women on the verge..") and I managed to catch "Tie me up, Tie me down" - something that won't work in the present politically correct times :). Do watch it too!

For me it's ok...watched without break, even though simple script well made.
watched "Skin I live in" surprise for me, thriller film made politely. the remaining film under the watchlist....:)

Hidden Figures...

A must watch film 'period'. A well stared, acted, directed, everything is too good. It keeps you attached to the movie from the first scene till the last node and you'll just want more.
True events shown truly and nicely. One of the best films I saw in this year, highly recommended.

+1 for Hidden Figures.
The casting is perfect.
The US is under pressure, the white and colored ones are under pressure, but the colored ones feels heat. Special mention to the music and the background score. Very apt
There is funny moments that will make you laugh, but deep down there is a sorrow in those moments too that will make your heart go heavy.
Must watch.

A great manhunt after the blast on On April 15, 2013, two bombs exploded near the finish line of the annual Boston Marathon, killing three and injuring hundreds of people.
Leading role by Mark Wahlberg did well on a blue-collar job as a cop. A whole movie made well dramatization of the events involved in an excellent with depth of emotion

Patriots Day (2016)
R | 2h 13min | Drama, History, Thriller | 13 January 2017

An old time gangster returns from a foreign place to his homeland by the request of his friend and partner in crimes. The story making is similar to nature from there unfolds a story of love, betrayal and bloody violence. Dulquer Salmaan did an amazing job. I like his choices of films and roles this past year and breaking new ground and showing his acting chops outside the charming romantic lead type.

Kammatti Paadam (2016)
A | 2h 57min | Action, Mystery, Thriller | 20 May 2016

Patriots day is a very interesting movie.. not sure how much of it was "hollywoodised".. but still, an interesting movie..

returning back to watching movies, my 1st love, after a long time.

1st & foremost a big thanks to all the members for suggesting movies & posting their reviews, particularly on foreign films.

Watched a few in the last week.

The Wailing (2016) (Korean)

This movie is as dark & gory as any other Koran crime movie can get, but all the blood shed & violence is interwoven artistically & with a purpose. The country side setup of the movie with the back-drop of rains & the murky clouds makes it a gripping & overwhelming watch.

Patriots Day (2016)

Based on the true events of Boston Marathon bombings & the aftermath, it is a very nail biting movie. Mark Wahlberg walks effortless as the cop.

Anthropoid (2016)

It's amazing how even after 70-80 years of WWII, true untold stories rises from the dust & made into films. This one is also based on true events of WWII & barbarity of the occupied Nazi forces in the beautiful Prague.

Anthropoid looks interesting, seems quite similar to Valkyrie which was awsome ,,

Patriots Day looks cool as well. Acquiring both now ...

Last edited:
Yes,anthropoid was good and is special because it was about the only successful attempt on a nazi leader.
Valkyrie was also very good and stylish.
These are the other exceptional and excellent movies of nazi times
The pianist
Schindlers list
The boy in the stripped pyjama
The book theif
Sarah's key
The fury
The last train to aushcwitz.
Inglorious basterds
Defiance
Downfall

The pianist is a never to be missed film.

Silence (2016)

A Martin Scorsese film.A movie about religious obsession in Medieval japan. Was kind of apprehensive at the start of the movie as I thought it was about promoting a faith. However it beautifully depicts faith, one's resolute faith and also questions imposing of faith in a way. I liked the cinematography. Issey Ogata's performance is amazing.

Yes,anthropoid was good and is special because it was about the only successful attempt on a nazi leader.
The pianist
Schindlers list
The book theif
Sarah's key
The fury
Inglorious basterds
Defiance
Downfall

Watched all...This one not found in IMDB..."The last train to aushcwitz"

Last edited:
The pianist
Schindlers list
The book theif
Sarah's key
The fury
Inglorious basterds
Defiance
Downfall

Also add Black Book to the list, amazing movie on Dutch resistance during WW2. I have read the book "The Book Thief" one of the very best.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lol @yesterday
Please let us know the other ww2 movies please,I love
Yesterday,I watched another excellent WW2 movie..
INTO THE WHITE
Other excellent WW2 movies are
hacksaw ridge
Unbroken (but not nazi)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back