The Movies I Liked

The Devil's Own - Drama
Harrison Ford - Brad Pitt

The story is about an IRA gunman who draws an American family into the crossfire of terrorism.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: The fastest insect in the world is the dragonfly. It has been timed at upto 92 kilometers an hour.

The Devil's Own - Drama
Harrison Ford - Brad Pitt

The story is about an IRA gunman who draws an American family into the crossfire of terrorism.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: The fastest insect in the world is the dragonfly. It has been timed at upto 92 kilometers an hour.

Liked the original. Even saw our desi copy/version of it Badal starring Bobby Deol and even that was fair.

I have always been a great fan of Clive Cussler. I have every single book of his, and must have read most of them twice or more. His main character - Dirk Pitt - is a quintessential renaissance hero who is in love with living life to the full. As a member of the National Underwater Marine Agency (NUMA), Dirk is for ever chasing treasures and bad guys under the sea and on the ocean. He is like a magnet for bad guys. they get attracted to him with foul things happening wherever he surfaces. And, of course, beautiful women fall into his lap like nine pins. Dirk is also a lover and collector of old and rare cars. NUMA is headed by Admiral James Sandecker, a fire brand himself who will twist anything and lie through his teeth to get what he wants.

Sahara is the second major movie based on the Dirk Pitt series. Mathew McConaughey chased this role for 7 years trying to get permission from Clive Cussler and of course roping in a producer and director. Mathew fits the role of Dirk to the T, and I do wish they take a few more movies with Mathew playing Dirk Pitt.

Sahara is a movie I just love. It is a non stop action movie with Dirk Pitt and Al Giodino running all over the place and getting in and out of trouble. The movie has everything going for it - good action, good actors, and a plot you will love, particularly if you have read Clive Cussler books. The cinematography is good (mostly short in the desert), the dialogues are clear and is just 2 hours of adrenalin rushing fun.

If you have not seen the move, you must. And for those who are new to this, please see if you can read the book first. Will make you enjoy the movie more. And Kudos to Eagle Home Entertainment for releasing the original and genuine DVD for Rs.99/-.

Cheers

I have always been a great fan of Clive Cussler. I have every single book of his, and must have read most of them twice or more. His main character - Dirk Pitt - is a quintessential renaissance hero who is in love with living life to the full. As a member of the National Underwater Marine Agency (NUMA), Dirk is for ever chasing treasures and bad guys under the sea and on the ocean. He is like a magnet for bad guys. they get attracted to him with foul things happening wherever he surfaces. And, of course, beautiful women fall into his lap like nine pins. Dirk is also a lover and collector of old and rare cars. NUMA is headed by Admiral James Sandecker, a fire brand himself who will twist anything and lie through his teeth to get what he wants.

Sahara is the second major movie based on the Dirk Pitt series. Mathew McConaughey chased this role for 7 years trying to get permission from Clive Cussler and of course roping in a producer and director. Mathew fits the role of Dirk to the T, and I do wish they take a few more movies with Mathew playing Dirk Pitt.

Sahara is a movie I just love. It is a non stop action movie with Dirk Pitt and Al Giodino running all over the place and getting in and out of trouble. The movie has everything going for it - good action, good actors, and a plot you will love, particularly if you have read Clive Cussler books. The cinematography is good (mostly short in the desert), the dialogues are clear and is just 2 hours of adrenalin rushing fun.

If you have not seen the move, you must. And for those who are new to this, please see if you can read the book first. Will make you enjoy the movie more. And Kudos to Eagle Home Entertainment for releasing the original and genuine DVD for Rs.99/-.

Cheers

Hey Venkatji we share quite a few things in common. Ever since I read Dragon by Clive Cussler I've been a fan of Clive Cussler and his hero Dirk Pitt. I did enjoy the movie Sahara, but the character of Dirk Pitt was not portrayed that well by Matthew McConaughey I felt IMHO and also Steve Zahn was funny but not at all like the character described in the books of Al Giordino, who is described more as a bodyguard, beefy, and muscular character. Still it was an enjoyable movie but the books by Clive Cussler were better one feels. IMHO only The Godfather movie achieved in portraying the novel by Mario Puzo perfectly on the big screen. All other big screen adaptations have failed mostly and very rarely have managed to put to picture the vision the author envisioned in the book. But again this is only IMHO. But great that we share Clive Cussler too in common.

Hey Venkatji we share quite a few things in common. Ever since I read Dragon by Clive Cussler I've been a fan of Clive Cussler and his hero Dirk Pitt. I did enjoy the movie Sahara, but the character of Dirk Pitt was not portrayed that well by Matthew McConaughey I felt IMHO and also Steve Zahn was funny but not at all like the character described in the books of Al Giordino, who is described more as a bodyguard, beefy, and muscular character.

I believe Mathew and the Director searched for Al Giordino for two years. They could not get a guy who was 5 feet 2 inches, muscular, intelligent, and fun loving. Steve Zahn was the closest fit. Yes, as you say, when I close my eyes, I cannot equate Steve to Al. Steve does not look like a guy who can fly any helicopter. He looks more like an overgrown schoolboy.

But Mathew seems to fit into the role of Dirk quite well. The muscular body, the green eyes, and a -I-don't-care attitude. For the life of me I cannot think of another actor who can fit this role better. George Clooney? Too handsome. Daniel Craig? Too short and no humour at all. Tom cruise? Too serious. Jason Statham? A good possibility but bald. All the younger actors are too mushy.

Cheers

I believe Mathew and the Director searched for Al Giordino for two years. They could not get a guy who was 5 feet 2 inches, muscular, intelligent, and fun loving. Steve Zahn was the closest fit. Yes, as you say, when I close my eyes, I cannot equate Steve to Al. Steve does not look like a guy who can fly any helicopter. He looks more like an overgrown schoolboy.

But Mathew seems to fit into the role of Dirk quite well. The muscular body, the green eyes, and a -I-don't-care attitude. For the life of me I cannot think of another actor who can fit this role better. George Clooney? Too handsome. Daniel Craig? Too short and no humour at all. Tom cruise? Too serious. Jason Statham? A good possibility but bald. All the younger actors are too mushy.

Cheers

Matthew McConaughey probably is the best choice among today's stars. The only thing I found lacking was Dirk Pitt is a anti-hero hero (no better way of putting it) i.e. he is the good guy and the hero and a patriot, but still is anti-authority and anti-government in the way he acts/behaves. The character of Dirk Pitt just does not like being told what to do or ordered around. Matthew McConaughey could not convey this in a proper way in the movie. Perhaps the age of Gary Cooper, Marlon Brando, Richard Widmark, etc. is over. They played the anti-hero so well...

The Long Kiss Goodnight!

Awesome action, Geena Davis absolutely rocks and Samuel L. Jackson is just about perfect. Too bad director Renny Harlin is on a downward spiral and not making great movies like this one and Cliffhanger anymore.

Annapolis

The story is about the fight to survive the grueling training of one of the world's most intense military academies.

Hi Moserw, I missed Badal, i will try to see it.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: Finger nails grow nearly 4 times faster then the toe nails.

Serenity - Loved it when I first saw it a couple of years ago, but then have loved Joss Whedon's work since Buffy The Vampire Slayer. MBR and Venkatji reminded me about it mentioning the movie during their testing and so I popped in the movie and watched it yet again. Do watch it!

Saw a old B&W movie - China Town - with Shammi Kapppr in dual role. Shakila, Helen, Madan Puri, and Khesto Mukherjee also play in this movie.

The reason I am bringing this here is that this seems to the 'baap' of all Don movies. Two identical looking guys - one a Don, and the other a poor man. Don gets caught, and the poor man is trained and replaced. There is a head of the whole operation who works in shadows and nobody knows him

In China Town, the duo are identical twins and one of them was stolen as a kid. There is a car chase, and the Don (Shankar alias Mike here) is hurt in an accident. The poor double (Shekar) is a singer in a hotel and he comes to know that Don is his long lost brother.

It was funny seeing Ksheto Mukherjee in small role without his patented drunkard acting. And Helen looks beautiful as a young dancer. Shammi is at his usual I-dont-care attitude, jumping and frolicking around.

Another interesting tidbit is that this movie was produced by Shakthi Samantha. Must have been one of his earliest movies.

A few good songs include Baar Baar Dheko, Hazar Bhar Dekho, Humse Na Poocho Hum Kahan Chale,

I am buying all the movies of Dev Anand and I am sure it will fun watching them.

Cheers

Just saw 'X-Files, I Want To Believe' movie. I am not sure many people will like this movie or even understand the underlying emotions. You really have to see the whole X-Files series to understand the enormous weight Dana Scully and Fox Mulder are carrying in this movie.

For a long time the FBI has been burying all the evidence that Fox Mulder has been building about extraterrestrials. Towards the end of the series, as FBI keeps up its relentless pressure, Fox and Dana get tired and lose interest. Dana, who originally used to believe in the energy that Fox had, start doubting him, and wants to go back to being an ordinary doctor, and not keep on chasing 'darkness' as she calls it. Fox goes into self imposed isolation, and Dana goes to serve as a Doctor in a hospital.

In this movie, both Fox and Dana are requested by FBI to help trace a missing FBI agent. Some of Fox's energy comes back, while Dana is struggling to do her duty as a doctor, and at the same time, help Fox come of out isolation.

This story is about the emotions that both Fox and Dana go through. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have acted extremely well, with the tiredness and weight of nearly 20 odd years of searching showing on their faces. The cinematography is excellent with many scenes taken in places with large amounts of snow. In one scene I saw a subtle indication of rainbow that was brilliant. The dialogs were clear. This is important in X-Files as Gillain and David speak mostly in whispers. Though he was there for a short time, it was good to see Mitch Pileggi come back as Walter Skinner, Director of FBI.

A movie I enjoyed thoroughly rewinding many times to see some lovely cinematography. If you are a X-Files fan like I am, don't miss this movie. If not, don't even bother.

Cheers

Saw Alien Vs. Predator 2. The first part was ok, the 2nd is plain bad. It's sad to see what has become of the monsters from Predator and Alien series.

Just so my wife would learn/see the correct monsters, we went through the entire Aliens series over the weekend. Great movies and a must have to any DVD collection.

When Eagles Dare

A great movie. The screenplay is good and you are engrossed till the end. The
movie is about how British govt with the help of a team tracks down the german spy's in their operation. Good Music score, you can get a feel of large orchestration being played around.

Cliffhanger
One of my favourites. Great Photography, good audiography. Whenever there is a chopper scene the surround effects are too good and the movie is interesting through out.

The Untouchables
A good casting: Kevin costner/Robet di Niro/Sean connery. IMHO Sean connery steals the show as Robert Di Niro doesn't have much screenspace.
A good movie that tells about a liquour baron running the business in Chicago with the help of corrput police officers and how a small team cracks it.

Oye lucky lucky oye
A time pass movie and abhay deol has acted well. Only thing is that the film defy's logic.

Last edited:
From Dusk Till Dawn...

George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino play brothers and bank robbers on the run from the law and to escape venture into Mexico. In Mexico they take shelter in a bar and then the real fun begins.

Awesome movie though might not be everyone's cup of tea, but still a great movie. You'll see George Clooney as you've never seen him and Salma Hayek in a blink and you'll miss me kind of role. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Re: The Movies I Liked-The Aviator

Watched 'The Aviator' last week.

Leanoardo acting was very Natural(Mentaly disturbed person).

Cheers

---------
Could not get original dvd from Eagle, downloaded divx 5.1 DD from internet(torrent) and enjoyed thoroughly. Thanks that you mentioned about it.

Amistad

Fantastic movie about the fight against slavery back in 1830! Anthony Hopkins and Mathew McC were fabulous.

A must watch for fans of classic court room drama.

Cheers!:cheers:

Blind Terror

She couldn't see it but it was there all the time.

The story is about a young widow's pain and grief eases upon meeting a handsome man who helps her forget her past. But everything begins to go terribly wrong when discovered that Mr. Right hides a deadly secret from his own past.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: In Iceland, tipping in a restaurant is considered to be an insult.

Forbidden Planet...

A sci-fi classic, stars a very young Leslie Nielsen as the captain of a spaceship visiting a distant planet inhabited only by a scientist and his young daughter. On the planet the crew of the spaceship are attacked and killed by an invisible intruder.

This is a great movie. I saw it many years ago and revisited it to share it with my wife. Awesome movie, do catch it if possible.

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Winchester '73...

A classic western. James Stewart wins a Winchester '73 in a shooting competition and the Winchester '73 is stolen by the runner up. How James Stewart gets back his Winchester '73 forms the remaining story. Great movie, not to be missed.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back