The Movies I Liked

This Is It (2009) Documentary

The best thing about this documentary on the Pop King Michael Jackson is that it is not a chronicle on his life, it's a compilation of raw footage of his rehearsals before his London shows. MJ, the king is captured in a beautifully impromptu mood as he pushes the boundaries of music & style. His energy level & oomph factor while practicing with his band members is simply phenomenal & mind blowing. It was such a joy to see the King catching hold of each note & tempo while giving his inputs to his co-musicians...!!

The documentary cleverly covers all his major hits, from Human Nature, Beat It, Thriller, Billy Jean etc while he was rehearsing & improvising.

If you are an MJ fan, go catch it.

Available on Amazon Prime.

Just to add,,,,, the Bluray of This is it is every penny worth a purchase .....

Dm14dpM.jpg

6ATa9uo.jpg

PMmLkS1.jpg

La La Land (2016) - IMDb

I am not a fan of romantic movies, but I have watched a handful of musicals. I still fondly remember "Singin' in the rain" and have watched "Chicago", "Moulin Rogue" etc.,

The first two songs rolled by and the word that came to my mind with all the disgust was 'superficiality'. But then, the movie sucked me in. Each scene (and frame) scores high on visual aesthetic with a careful mix of color, lighting, music, background and choreographed moves of actors. More than that, it was the Jazz music that kept me on. It was fun while watching and it definitely helped me kill a good couple of hours.

But, here's the problem - Ryan Gosling can't sing or dance, Emma Stone can sing better than Gosling but is not a good dancer. I also thought she did better than Gosling in the acting department mostly because she was cast as an aspiring actress. The only song I sort of liked was the one Emma stone sings during the audition. The repetitive music bit was decent the first time around, but it fails to evoke any strong emotion during repetitions. Even the plot is nothing to write about with only a handful of good sequences.

To sum it up, I'd say "La La Land" isn't bad, but isn't great either. Maybe just nice in a superficial way - a very nice packaging, but not something that holds up to scrutiny. Two ways this can work out better for you - 1) You may still enjoy it despite all the weaknesses, 2) If you are already a fan of Gosling and/or Emma Stone.

PS: I have not watched "Whiplash" yet. Now, I am very interested.

Last edited:
My favorites
Shawshank redemption
Blood Diamond
Rainman
The departed
Se7en
Gone girl
Fightclub
Ronin
The score
The Prestige
Shutter Island
The MArtian
The Lives of others(German)
Black Book
Cast Away
Terminal
Risky business
Inside Man
Forest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Clint Eastwood movies
oh the list goes on

The movies that I recently watched and was completely engrossed....
Bridge of spies
Shutter islands
Gone girl
Empire of the sun
The gift

A United Kingdom is based on the true story of Seretse Khama.The black man and white woman fell in love and married in the late 1940s, and their controversial relationship started a political storm in both England and Africa. Love. Relentless, undying and overstepping all obstacles, including the Empire. Conquering all. Beautiful in pictures and spirit. David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike lead the entire movie.

A United Kingdom (2016) 6/10
PG-13 | 1h 51min | Biography, Drama, Romance | 10 February 2017

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back