The Movies I Liked

a couple of movies which i saw recently & recall....

Baahubali 2 - *no words reqd* :)
nevertheless, cinematography & sound FX (CGI is a given) blew me away! the opening credits background soundtrack ('Shivam') & background score to the battle scene at the last by MM Keeravani (also known popularly as MM 'Kreem') felt superb to me! its a larger than larger than life movie! and its loud (all these exclamation marks should convey it to you ;))! movie gradually picks pace when it comes to action, and then its non-stop high-octane later. best experience is to be had in IMAX! in atmos, it could be even louder so ranking it second. may be i'll watch it a second time later, as well as BB1 too (had missed watching it in theatre).

You may watch Red Cliff (2008) & Red Cliff II (2009)....If not watched.....:)

Last edited:
The Wailing (2016) - SoKo horror movie. takes time to build up on you. proceeds gradually. for initial some time, its laced with a few humour-scenes. its a slow, quiet movie for much of the time. slowly starts turning grim & after mid-time turns grislier. a bit gripping towards the end (there's a twist then there's a twist to the twist). its a little lengthy @ ~2.5 hrs. one-time watch for me. would give it 6.8/10.

not of bollywod. Telugu film industry. slight nitpick but of some significance nonetheless. :)

Dont miss this...Bedevilled (2010)
If not watched.....:)

Watched this Tamil movie..
8 thottakal.
For all those who complain that movies here are not made of hollywood finesse,this is the answer.
A very neat,clean crime thriller,unbeleivable work from a debutant director.
A lesson of how to make a chic film under 50 lakhs rupees with quality and make money.
Don't miss.

Court (2014) Marathi

A great take on the painstakingly slow judicial system in our country, especially the lower courts & the Police dept. The movie is a bit on the slower side but is craftily made, the feel of the movie is very authentic in its characterization & locations.

7.5/10

Bone Tomahawk (2015) - IMDb

I am a horror movie buff and some of my most favourite movies have been westerns. I was pretty excited about watching a rare combination of the two genres. I quite enjoyed the movie. It wasn't great, but it was different.

This movie has a stellar cast. Kurt Russell, always one of my favourites, plays the sheriff of Bright Hope. Then, there's Mathew Fox from 'Lost', Patrick Wilson ('Conjuring') and Lili Simmons ('Banshee'). But, it was Richard Jenkins who plays the old, loyal backup deputy who outshines them.

First, a bummer. It neither has the flashiness of Westerns nor anything remotely supernatural. The opening scene sets the expectations high. But for the most part, this movie has a slow, contemplative pace with stripped-down, realistic dialogues. When they begin their journey, instead of delivering a pep talk or a catchy one-liner, the sheriff lays down the importance of rest and sleep. In the middle, they have conversations about reading a book while sitting in a bathtub. They even talk about a flea circus (the timing of this is fantastic :)). These were the bits that I liked very much because they were so unexpected.

The last third has the gore. If you have seen one too many french new extreme movies, then you are going to be shocked only for two minutes (but that will stay in your mind!). The ending is a bit conventional though!

Watched this Tamil movie..8 thottakal.

You can't go wrong if you are inspired by Kurosawa :). I wonder how well he adapted and/or changed 'Stray Dog'.

Hell or high water.
What a movie?!,I usually am not a fan of western movies,sunny ambience,dirty jeans,unkept beard and they will keep talking for ever
This was awesome,I enjoyed the dialogues, very well made and stylish.Rare movie on bonding between brothers.
A must watch
Can you recommend more movies of this genre
4 out of 5 stars.

Hell or high water.
What a movie?!,I usually am not a fan of western movies,sunny ambience,dirty jeans,unkept beard and they will keep talking for ever
This was awesome,I enjoyed the dialogues, very well made and stylish.Rare movie on bonding between brothers.
A must watch
4 out of 5 stars.

No Country for Old Men (2007)...Don't miss this...If not watched.:)

Re: The Movie I Liked

Baahubali 2:
Excellent movie, this is how a commercial movie should be made! Though suffers from wafer thin story clich in a expected way, but the story telling skills of director keeps you hooked for the three long hours. Everything is larger than life, the director deservedly ends up as the real hero of the movie.

3.5/5 stars, don't miss it, its a treat to watch on a big screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LONELY HEARTS was a good recommendation.
I liked it,very well made,good production value.
Any recommendation of movies in similar genre?

Hell or high water.
A must watch
4 out of 5 stars.

Looks like my kinda movie, (acquiring now..:)) however, I just wonder if any movie can even come close to the ultimate, mind-blowing Open Range in the last 15 years........have seen lots of recent westerns but still looking for that one ..:)

Last edited:
Sam's
What are the recent western movies you have seen?
Let me also try.

Few I can remember

Django Unchanged
Hateful 8
Bone Tomahwak
The magnificient seven (new)
The reverent (thought I wont call it a western strictly)
In the valley of violence
True Grit
Unforgiven
3:10 to Yuma

But the best is Open Range, if you have not seen, do it NOW NOW..:D .. Kevin Costner Best performance and he directed it himself:)

Few I can remember

Django Unchanged
Hateful 8
Bone Tomahwak
True Grit
Unforgiven

But the best is Open Range, if you have not seen, do it NOW NOW..:D .. Kevin Costner Best performance and he directed it himself:)

Great list Sam. Have you see 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' ? If yes, do you rate it above or below Open Range?

Few I can remember

Django Unchanged
Hateful 8
Bone Tomahwak
True Grit
Unforgiven

Also, add few more...As for now....

Classic movies of Dir: Sergio Leone's...:)

A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

The Proposition (2005)
Appaloosa (2008)
Hidalgo (2004)... Not Pure Western, but lookalike
The Homesman (2014)...Much impressed directed by Tommy Lee Jones

Great list Sam. Have you see 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' ? If yes, do you rate it above or below Open Range?

I have seen lot much more than the list I shared, including GBU, the list is Movies of the last 15-20 years as requested by balabala. I loved GBU, but for some reason, Open Rage is on an another level as far as I am concerned. Some movies just click and stick with you and you are like in love with them head over heals. ..... Like Apollo 13 is another such movie, I have seen it like gazillion times ....lol

Also, add few more...As for now....

Classic movies of Dir: Sergio Leone's...:)

A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

These are old time classics, few I can add more if old classics are to be included

unforgiven,
the wild bunch
butch cassidy and the sundance kid
dances with the wolves (another KC masterpiece)
Hang em High

A special mention to a movie called Last Man Standing Bruce Willis, this movie was not taken well by the audience and IMDB also has an avg score, BUT BOY oh I loved this movie to the core, the action sequences are top notch, the noir genre at its best if you ask me, and an ever satisfying ending (much like OR ending) made the movie for me.

Last edited:
A special mention to a movie called Last Man Standing Bruce Willis, this movie was not taken well by the audience and IMDB also has an avg score

I have heard about it, but have not watched it. The average rating could be because it is a version of Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" and people kept comparing the two.

"A Fistful of Dollars" is also a copy of "Yojimbo". Kurosawa actually sued Leone for that. A comparison between the two can be found here.

"The Magnificent Seven" was a remake of "Seven Samurai". Comparison between "Seven Samurai" and the two "Magnificent Seven" movies can be found here.

It is another matter that "Yojimbo" itself is like a western, except with samurais in it. Here is a fantastic post about Yojimbo's own influences (and it is a good thread to read too!).

Kurosawa was an easy sell in the west because his movies were 'westernized'. But his films, in turn, influenced so many others including 'Star Wars' drawing from 'Hidden Fortress'. So, the circle of influence keeps spinning around!

All this late-night reading about Kurosawa and 'Yojimbo' make me want to watch it again. And due to the strong approval from you, sam9s! I'll watch "Open range" as well! :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back