The Movies I Liked

516TMH5M3HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is a 1998 movie that I remember to have ssen a long time ago, but kind of re-enjoyed it today. I actually started seeing the movie called 'Shoot To Kill', then realised it is Deadly Pursuit with a new name.

The movie stars two great actors - Sidney Poitier and Tom Berenger. Sidney acts as Warren Stentin, a FBI agent from SFO chasing a kidnapper and murderer across mountains in the US-Canada border. Tom acts as Jonathan Knox, a mountaineer and guide who is hiding away in those mountain. The two pair to chase the killer across mountains and ice caps helping each other along the way. There are some superb scenes in the movie.

In one scene, Knox is scurrying on his hands and legs on a steel rope between two mountains and a deep gorge below. He is doing this to bring back a rope car that the killer had anchored at the other end. As he is moving across the rope, the rope car gets loose and slams Knox off the rope. He is hanging and slamming into the rock face and is being held on a rope in Warren's hands. How they help each other for Knox to reach safety will make you sweat. Reminded me another movie - Cliffhanger.

In another scene Warren and Knox are running across the woods to catch up with the killer. As they go round some trees they suddenly come across a huge grizzly bear. They come to a dead stop, turn around and start running away from the bear that starts chasing them. Suddenly Know trips and falls, and is knocked out. Not knowing what to do, Warren turns around and starts screaming and gesticulating at the bear. The bear comes to a stop, looks strangely at Warren, turns around and runs away. When Knox asked Warren waht just happened, Warren replies, 'Well none of you have seen a black man before, so I figured neither would the bear have'. Sidney Poitier says this with a straight face that made be burst out laughing.

Both Sidney and Tom have acted well. For the initial friction to a growing friendship, from Tom's familiarity with the surroundings to Sidney not even able to ride a horse all have been done with finesse.

A movie worth watching.

Cheers

Last edited:
I thank you very much for the writing, i will apply some of the ideas, thanks again.

I think the exercise should be done by the respective members and not by me. There are hardly any members who are interested to avail this gift offer, i need at least 10 of them taking on to this offer.

Once members show the interest to have this free DVDs gift from me then they have to guide me with the page numbers where they have contributed more then 15 times to this thread.

The point 4 will be a difficult one to handle, i need a much easier way out so please do help me on this.

As I hardly have 2 or 3 posts on this thread and don't qualify for this offer, let me say this: I think you have to wait a long time for members to come forward and list their posts (proof of their contribution) for a set of 10 to 20 DVDs and they don't even know what the movies are. I am sure that they will be good movies and original DVDs, but members who contributed to this thread extensively would have already watched/owned most of them. This exercise might even be a bit embarassing to them.

Extending what Venkat wrote and trying to simplify (4): List all your DVDs in an excel or txt file and send it to the members in your order of preference (one by one) and ask them to list their choices. Take them out from your list and send the remaing list to the next member. This might take some time...

I thank you for the frank writing.

It is clear that there is no interest from the larger members, so i will close this offer by the end of this month.

It is not viable for me to list the movies, as everyone will jump over each other to take the best movies etc only and then what do i do with the rest of movies? My idea is that all movies should leave my place at one go. My idea is that i have movies detail in the excel file, there are over 200 of them, the members will have to choose at random any numbers say 15 of them, so against that number which ever movie is there i will courier it.

There should be no embarrassment to claim the free gift, we members are like a family.

Thanks.

Vinay.

As I hardly have 2 or 3 posts on this thread and don't qualify for this offer, let me say this: I think you have to wait a long time for members to come forward and list their posts (proof of their contribution) for a set of 10 to 20 DVDs and they don't even know what the movies are. I am sure that they will be good movies and original DVDs, but members who contributed to this thread extensively would have already watched/owned most of them. This exercise might even be a bit embarassing to them.

Extending what Venkat wrote and trying to simplify (4): List all your DVDs in an excel or txt file and send it to the members in your order of preference (one by one) and ask them to list their choices. Take them out from your list and send the remaing list to the next member. This might take some time...

From my Batman collection...

Batman (1989)

The Dark Knight (2008)

Both are must see for their interpretation of The Joker by Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger respectively. Both are brilliant in their own way. Coming to Batman himself, while Christian Bale is a good actor and a personal favorite of mine, one feels that Michael Keaton with his brooding dark persona plays Batman a tad bit better. Soundtrack wise the original Batman is way ahead with Prince at the helm.

Watch both of them, not to be missed.

Hi,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Country_for_Old_Men_(film)

Dont know what to make of this film. It has won a slew of awards including 4 academy awards it seems.
May be i am too accustomed to see good guys triumph at the end of the movie, i felt disappointed when the bad guy slips away quietly, the hero(well sort of.. a guy who is on the run with another's shady money cant be a hero huh?) dies, and the sheriff retires into oblivion! May be i am too dumb to appreciate the finer points of the movie:D

cheers,
sri

I personally liked it and it was brilliant especially for Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem, but my wife did not like the ending either. She too wanted justice to be done at the end...

Hi,

Dont know what to make of this film. It has won a slew of awards including 4 academy awards it seems.
May be i am too accustomed to see good guys triumph at the end of the movie, i felt disappointed when the bad guy slips away quietly, the hero(well sort of.. a guy who is on the run with another's shady money cant be a hero huh?) dies, and the sheriff retires into oblivion! May be i am too dumb to appreciate the finer points of the movie:D

cheers,
sri

It is clear that there is no interest from the larger members, so i will close this offer by the end of this month.

It is not viable for me to list the movies, as everyone will jump over each other to take the best movies etc only and then what do i do with the rest of movies? My idea is that all movies should leave my place at one go. My idea is that i have movies detail in the excel file, there are over 200 of them, the members will have to choose at random any numbers say 15 of them, so against that number which ever movie is there i will courier it.

There should be no embarrassment to claim the free gift, we members are like a family.

Thanks.

Vinay, the minute you involve members in deciding what each one wants, there is going to be a scramble, and be time consuming. I would say the best would be for you to decide randomly amongst 10 members who would take your DVDs. Send a PM to each for their address and acceptance.

The distribution of DVDs can also be done by you using some logic, or even randomly.

I am not sure about others, but I would gladly accept as many DVDs (even all 200 !! :)) as I can get from Vinay. These would go a long way in helping my collection of movies.

Cheers

Hi vinay,

Yours is great gesture. I don't fulfill any of your conditions. Otherwise i would have made a pitch.

Guys i find the lack of response for vinay's gesture a little baffling. He has already stated that the forum is like a family and he is doing this as a thanks giving gesture for what he has got form it. So make him happy by responding.

cheers,
sri

Watched Titanic yesterday,after a long time.Still had that fresh feel as i got when i watched it the first time.Classy sound effects and music!
Vj

State of Play - 4/5

Superb fast paced movie with a good suspense story. It is interesting to see the interplay between the various characters and the mini plots going on within the bigger picture. But for me the clincher in the movie was its background score. I watched it on regular headphones but I am just dying to see it in DTS someday. The music sets the tone of the scene and the tempo sets up the next scene quite nicely. This is the second movie whose background sound editing i liked after The Dark Knight.

A must watch.

I thank you for the frank writing.

Thanks.

Vinay.

Hi Vinay,

I am not sure if i qualify for this, bit i am sure i have been contributing to this thread for a while. Would be glad to accept the dvd's.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Both of the above are absolute classics for me. I've loved Steve Martin and his whole family in both the movies. And Fraaanc (Martin Short) was just amazing. The best part of the movies is about the style of comedy used. The comedy never seemed to be artificial, even when Martin Short is using the accent - it is so natural and gels with the movie so well. But the clincher for me was the emotional undertone of the movie. The relationship between the father and the daughter is so beautifully portrayed. The songs 'My Girl' and 'Today I met the boy I'm marrying' were just superb.

As someone said on IMDB, this is a movie that can make you laugh and cry at the same time. A definite MUST watch if you have not already seen it - both parts actually.

Three Kings (1999)

Story about 3 American soldiers in Iraq trying to hunt for gold during their military operation to stop war between Iraq and Kuwait and trying to protect Iraqi people. A very good movie.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi,

cheers,
sri

Dont worry, Sri. I too did not think that this movie deserved all the accolades it got. However Javier Bardem's acting and deep, guttural voice are worth enjoying.

It has got an atypical ending. Lets not hold that against the movie. In itself though I did not see too much merit in the movie. At least not as much to explain all the awards.

Re: Free DVDs

I have decided to gift my over 200 original DVDs to the members who have already contributed more then 15 times on this thread. I need some suggestions how to go about this gift, so please help me on this.

Vinay.

Well, Vinay. That is a grand gesture from you. I am sure there will be takers (in a queue for this offer). Of course including yours truly who somehow by hook or crook has posts in this thread:).

After following suggestions and your responses, I too think that random distribution may be the way to go. Or you could assign number ranges - 1-15 goes to Venkat, 16 to 30 goes to Unleash_me and so on, so forth. The ordering of the movies of course is going to be done by you.

516TMH5M3HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is a 1998 movie that I remember to have ssen a long time ago, but kind of re-enjoyed it today. I actually started seeing the movie called 'Shoot To Kill', then realised it is Deadly Pursuit with a new name.

The movie stars two great actors - Sidney Poitier and Tom Berenger. Sidney acts as Warren Stentin, a FBI agent from SFO chasing a kidnapper and murderer across mountains in the US-Canada border. Tom acts as Jonathan Knox, a mountaineer and guide who is hiding away in those mountain. The two pair to chase the killer across mountains and ice caps helping each other along the way. There are some superb scenes in the movie.

In one scene, Knox is scurrying on his hands and legs on a steel rope between two mountains and a deep gorge below. He is doing this to bring back a rope car that the killer had anchored at the other end. As he is moving across the rope, the rope car gets loose and slams Knox off the rope. He is hanging and slamming into the rock face and is being held on a rope in Warren's hands. How they help each other for Knox to reach safety will make you sweat. Reminded me another movie - Cliffhanger.

In another scene Warren and Knox are running across the woods to catch up with the killer. As they go round some trees they suddenly come across a huge grizzly bear. They come to a dead stop, turn around and start running away from the bear that starts chasing them. Suddenly Know trips and falls, and is knocked out. Not knowing what to do, Warren turns around and starts screaming and gesticulating at the bear. The bear comes to a stop, looks strangely at Warren, turns around and runs away. When Knox asked Warren waht just happened, Warren replies, 'Well none of you have seen a black man before, so I figured neither would the bear have'. Sidney Poitier says this with a straight face that made be burst out laughing.

Both Sidney and Tom have acted well. For the initial friction to a growing friendship, from Tom's familiarity with the surroundings to Sidney not even able to ride a horse all have been done with finesse.

A movie worth watching.

Cheers

Venkat I did try watchnig this movie a few months ago. It was going on smoothly but slowly, but after 45 minutes I got out of it - maybe I was just not in the right mood for it then. Need to get it out and watch it again after your review.

10808.jpg

Saw a movie after quite some time that kept me gripped to my seat. 'Knowing' stars Nicholas Cage as John Koestler, a professor of Astrophysics at MIT. His son, Caleb, gets an envelope that was buried in a time capsule 50 years before by students of the same school where he is studying. The envelope has a sheet with a lot of numbers written on it. Slightly alcoholic, John sits one night and stares at the numbers. Something clicks and he realises that the numbers refer to a series of events that happened around the world, after the note was written. Each event leads to death and the number of people dead is specifically mentioned in the note against each date. Some numbers are confusing and John realises they coordinates where the events occur. John is actually a observer two such events where he watches helplessly as people die.

John's son, Caleb, start hearing whispers in his ears, as do a number of other people. What this leads to is to be enjoyed in the movie.

The movie has a number of extraordinary scenes. One I liked very much was the crash of a plane that they show in great detail.

You can hate or love this movie. But please don;t try to bring any religious sentiment to it. Just enjoy it as a SciFi movie it is.

6578.jpg

Get a good copy of the movie and enjoy it. I believe the movie has been in production for quite some time.

Cheers

Considering that the whole movie had religion at the core of it - I was surprised that I was able to enjoy it:). But I think Venkat it is not going to be possible to keep religion out of this. It is not like it is a veiled subject in the movie. If ever there was a movie for the intelligent design or creationism - this is it:)

But on the whole, definitely enjoyable. It keeps up a good pace and is eminently watchable. The airplane crash is definitely impressive. Recently I greatly enjoyed Nicholas Cage in the movie 'Next'. Not so much in this one.

Next is a very nice movie. It is about a man who has the capability to know what is going to happen a few seconds ahead in his life. But the caveat is - he can only look ahead a few seconds. Not more. Did you see it?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back