The Movies I Liked

After a long time, beginning to catch up on the movie front. What better way than to begin with blood, gore and horror? Yesterday, my net connection went out in the afternoon and did not come back till today morning. So, decided to watch ... 4 movies

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

I don't even vaguely remember the original. But this film is said to be one of the few re-makes which actually is on par or surpasses the original. The brutality, cannibalism and gore may not suit everybody. But, it was 'gore-geous'.

1408 (2007)

The plot is not too different from the basic premise of movies such as "Cube", "Saw" etc., Hopelessly locked up in a place with no way to get out and discovering one self - a bit of thrill, a bit of existentialism, a bit of easy to guess "what next". It's a well made film, which kept my interest up at times, but failed to grasp me as much as the previous one. John Cusack plays the troubled, non-believing author who pens books on haunted places.

[. Rec] (2007)

This was re-made as "Quarantine" and hopefully killed off in usual hollywood re-make style. Won't watch that re-make for sure! "Colverfield" in 2008 followed a similar style in film making.

Being insensitive to the average horror/thriller film (being a fan for too long), this one was different and interesting for me. A TV reporter who in her boring assignment for a Night show "While you were sleeping" needs to cover firemen and their night shift. But, she and her camera man along with cops on the scene and the firemen accidentally get caught inside a building which is quarantined without a hint. This spanish film with it's handycam photography helps keep us glued. The one thing I like about such films is that you as an audience have no clue as to what's happening as much as the characters in the movie and like them are subject to incidents which do not allow you much time to think.

Martyrs (2008)

This one is certainly not for every one. Shocking, brutal and repulsive at times, this one works for me because it is far off the cliche' when it comes to horror / gore / thriller category. Self infliction of pain, skinning, lots of blood, unstable minds, smashing of head - simply something that descends lower than the average human 'value'. If you are used to "Saw" or "Hostel" (I stopped watching "Saw" after 1 & 2, never watched "Hostel"), perhaps you'll not find it as 'shocking'. But "Saw" series, which thrives on shock value is let's say "simplistic" in it's mind set compared to this!

Do Dooni Chaar (2010) - IMDb

Loved this movie. Its a simple story about a middle class Delhi based family looking to expand from a two wheeler to a four wheeler and the troubles that they endure.

Very well acted by Rishi Kapoor in the lead, Neetu Singh is a revelation as I always thought of her as a bimbo when she was in her heydays. Probably, age makes them better actors.

Not as good as say Khosla ka Ghosla, but still nice movie to watch.

Do Dooni Chaar (2010) - IMDb

Loved this movie. Its a simple story about a middle class Delhi based family looking to expand from a two wheeler to a four wheeler and the troubles that they endure.

Very well acted by Rishi Kapoor in the lead, Neetu Singh is a revelation as I always thought of her as a bimbo when she was in her heydays. Probably, age makes them better actors.

Not as good as say Khosla ka Ghosla, but still nice movie to watch.

I watched this a month or so back. I had only heard good things about it, so was expecting more. I didn't like this movie that much actually. However, Habib Faisal is very promising. He also wrote Band Baaja Baarat which I thought had an excellent first half but a crap second half.

Here a few recent ones which I liked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Me_In_(film)
Don't mistake this for horror.. leaving apart few scenes where Chlo ((lead female) - the Kick Ass star) sucks the blood out..it is a really cute love story..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felon_(film)
Good movie if you like prison flicks.. get a viewpoint of the American prison politics..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_Kind_of_a_Funny_Story_(film)
Another good movie - comedy, about a teenager with suicidal tendencies who checks in into a mental hospital discovering that world is much more goofed up than he is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conviction_(film)
One of few movies (in my opinion - best) which show the bond between brother and sister - based on a true story

I watched this a month or so back. I had only heard good things about it, so was expecting more. I didn't like this movie that much actually. However, Habib Faisal is very promising. He also wrote Band Baaja Baarat which I thought had an excellent first half but a crap second half.

second half crap in what way?

The sex just before the interval and the melodrama which went on after it for the entire second half was really poor in my opinion. The first half had tremendous acting by Ranvir, entrepreneurial spirit shown and a lot of zeal and craftiness. If it had even been a decent second half, it could have been a much better film.

I watched Y.M.I a year or so back but didn't like it that much, mainly because I felt it was similar to Mumbai Meri Jaan and Mumbai Meri Jaan is a far superior film compared to Y.M.I.

I watched Pyaasa a few days back. It has some magical scenes and songs. Also, a few songs which dragged and it didn't seem to flow as smoothly as I would like it to flow. The story was awesome though. Also, there were some great directorial moments of experimentations with the shots. It was very much the Citizen Kane of bollywood when I think of it. Would give it a 7.5/10.

Watched 7 Khoon Maaf as well a few days back. It was very entertaining. I don't know why the people are trashing it so much. The last 20 minutes or so dragged a bit but it was a good film over all. It wasn't iconic like other Bharadwaj films but still, pretty good. 7.5/10.

Wendy and Lucy

Michelle Williams is the best actress in hollywood right now, isn't she? :) She is quite amazing in this film as well. This is a pretty awesome film. 8/10.

Tanu Weds Manu

Some great acting performances. Kangana Ranaut is one of the top 3 actresses in bollywood right now along with Aishwarya Rai and Kareena Kapoor and she shows her immense talent in this film. It is a shame she doesn't have enough clout and thus doesn't get as many good roles as yet. I hope she has a great career. The film is a little gem. 8/10.

The Fighter

Finally caught the last of the 10 best picture nominees. I wasn't very keen to watch it but the temptation of watching a film like this on the big screen was too much not to give in to. I get a fair few things from movies such as this as I thing sport is a metaphor for life. For instance, the two boxers trading punches till one squashes the other in the end is a bit like life - you have to keep at it and knock it down the targets, no matter how relentless. Great acting by Christian Bale as well. 8/10.

Finding Nemo
Matrix collections
inception
gladiator
Blood Diamond
Catch me if you can
Titanic
The Patriot

These are the movies that come to my mind.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back