The Movies I Liked

dhobhi ghat

reviews may be bad for this :mad:

kiran rao and amir khan have come up with a Beautiful intricate and intelligent direction

superb acting too

hope to see more of such bollywood cinema

Last edited:
So, last week I proceeded to complete the plan as I mentioned here

Black Swan (2010)

Pratters has already covered it well here. Aronofsky keeps impressing me with every movie. From the junkies in 'Requiem' to the washed out wrestler trying to relive his old glory once again to this (have not watched "Pi" and "The Fountain"), I feel the link is obsession (drugs in requiem, glory in wrestler, artistic achievement in Black swan) and a downward spiral (literally in requiem, health and relationships in wrestler, blurring reality and imagination here) and some dedication as well. But, "Requiem" because of it's content is still had the most impact of the three on me.

Amores Perros (2000)

Three stories interlinked by an accident, dog(s), love (of various forms). It's a really well made film and I liked it more than "Black swan", though I suspect it would be the reverse for most others.

Battleship Potemkin (1925)

This is a Soviet propaganda film. The segment called "Odessa Staircase" which portrays the soldiers massacre of people on the lo..ng Odessa staircases is what defines the film for me. The baby in a carriage falling down the stairs would make it's appearance again in "The Untouchables" though it's more brutal in 'Potemkin'. On a side note, I happened to watch "Naked Gun 33 1/3" before "Untouchables", so Kevin Costner just did not stand a chance against the dead pan acting of Leslie Nielsen as all I could remember was '33 1/3' during that scene ;)

Man bites Dog (1992)

A violent mockumentary about a serial killer in which the crew goes from observers to accomplices to co-offenders interspersed with comments on anything from architecture to birds. But I will remember this for the performance of Benot Poelvoorde. But as a movie, it did not impact me greatly as I expected.

In the Mood for Love (2000)

Having never watched a Wang Kar Wai film, I did not know what to expect. Amazing visuals, great music and it unfolds like a poetry in motion at places. It ends without the closure one normally expects from romantic films and I liked it.

3-Iron (2004)

My second Kim Ki-Duk film after "Bad Guy". I love the way he keeps the number of words from lead character's to a bare minimum. Most of what needs to be said is conveyed by looks and actions. It's the other characters who need to talk. A strangely beautiful love story that can be interpreted as carrying a spiritual message.

Umberto D (1952)

Just like I got potty trained, I got pathos trained watching many Sivaji films on TV ;). So, this last of Italian neo-realistic films reminded a LOT of Tamil films of those days. I was thinking 'Add 2 pages of dialog here, insert a sad song by TMS here and we got ourselves a tear-jerker'. But what happens with "Umberto D", even with it's amateur actors is that the fine line is never crossed somehow by Vittorio De Sica. There are some memorable scenes like when Umberto decides to ask for money, but turns around his hand at the last minute and instead makes his dog stand with his hat - it's both sad and light-hearted at the same time. But overall, it did not affect me to the extent I expected.

The Human Condition

This is a big self assignment I've been postponing for almost a year and a half now. It had to finally happen. Clocking at a combined 579 minutes, it's not easy to allocate time to watch 'Human Condition' (mentioned by someone that it actually translates to "Condition of being human" which makes more sense too). Directed by Masaki Kobayashi with Tatsuya Nakadai ("Ran", "Kagemusha", "Yojimbo", "Sanjuro", "High and Low") in the lead, this was not easy to watch. The movie is split into 3 films with each part split further into 2 parts each. Since there were 6 parts, it was easier for me to spread it over Saturday, Sunday and Monday to finish. So what was the big result?

I found Kurosawa appealed to me better as he was more visual, technical, involving. Seven Samurai, which was just short of the first part by just a minute was more of a cinematic experience; could be just Toshiro Mifune entertaining in every one of his scenes.

This was more like reading the novel on which the movie is based on. The first part of the Trilogy, which is the longest felt more like the beginning of something big and better to me. The second was better than the first and the third is where the pay-off for all the time spent on watching the trilogy occurs. Is it a good film? By all means. It's a bit more realistic about war. In the first part, Kaji the humanist, watches the war from sidelines while being subject to some of it's ill effects. He attempts to treat the Chinese laborers with humanity gaining nothing from either side in return. Labeled a 'Red' by the Japanese and not completely trusted by the Chinese, he is enlisted in the army against his wishes. In the second, Kaji tries to fight his way through the oppression within the army, but he is transforming towards the end. In the third, when the war is already over, he sets out to get back to his wife Michiko against all odds and doing anything and everything necessary.

I don't know why, but my emotional investment in Kaji was a little less than ideal. Lot of characters to remember, long running time - that must have did me in. I was more a dispassionate witness to his journey than a fellow traveler. That's why I won't call this trilogy a Classic - at least until I watch it again by a miracle and love it the next time.

Harakiri / Seppuku (1962)

Another one of Masaki Kobayashi films. The movie is more realistic in style. I see careful and meticulous approach to have the film rooted in 'realistic' mood in each scene. I've so far only seen movies that glorify Samurais as warriors, protector of the innocent, self-less. But, this film approaches the whole Samurai clan as corrupt, manipulative, heartless, holding on to symbolism that has no value or foundation - almost like politicians owning media (you'll understand in the last scene). There's far less sword fight and whatever is present is devoid of the glorification or style we usually associate with Samurai films. Of course, Tatsuya Nakadai's performance is very under-stated and it's the character which shines through more than the actor. It's very finely made, a refinement I did not feel in "The Human Condition", may be just more budget / make-up / better camera work?

It's only after this film, I realized that both the 9 hour long "The Human Condition" and 2 hr+ "Sepukku" are more alike in that they are realistic, anti-oppression / anti-war and are more of a social commentary on Japan's present and past respectively. Then I read a bit more about Kobayashi and realized Kaji was more an alter ego as Kobayashi himself served in the army, but refused to fight, was captured a prisoner and his own experiences may have helped him shape the movie. But damn! it's still lo..n...g... :rolleyes:

Oh! and until I read this in one of the sites, I had forgotten all about the 'Obara' episode in Part II of THC (watching 6 hours of movie half fatigued can do that to you). Expand it, modernize and adapt it to Vietnam war, sprinkle some of Kubrick's brilliance and you got yourself.... Pyle from "Full Metal Jacket".

Santosh

The Eye

Storyline

The violinist Sydney Wells has been accidentally blinded by her sister Helen since she was five years old. She submits to a surgery of cornea transplantation, and while recovering from the operation, she realizes that she is seeing dead people. With the support of Dr. Paul Faulkner, Sidney finds who the donor of her eyes was and they travel to Los Llanos in Mexico to resolve the mystery of her visions.

The Eye (2008) - IMDb

This movie was given to me by Santosh., special thanks to him. :licklips:

V.

Righteous Kill [2008][Bluray]

Righteous Kill (2008) - IMDb

A Crime/Drama movie with good casting, but unfortunately not up to the mark performance. The only thing good in this movie was Cinematography and the last sequence of the movie. One time watchable for De Niro/Al Pacino fans, others can skip this movie.

Cheers.

The Way Back (2010) - IMDb

A true story based on the escape from siberia (russian gulag) to freedom in india
via several nations,mountains ,and deserts and that too by foot a long walk of 4000miles

makes a very interesting watch , the scenery and photography is just great, and the indomitable spirit of never give up is great

highly recommended

Last edited:
Solomon Kane (2009) - IMDb

quiet a good movie

once a dreaded warrior and killer, solomon kane has renounced everything and become a priest but things take a deadly turn and he's forced to take up violence once again

A good old fashioned action adventure ,very enjoyable

Last edited:
RocknRolla [2008][Bluray]

RocknRolla (2008) - IMDb

A good Crime/Drama movie with the typical Guy Ritchie-ness in the story. The plot is a bit sophisticated but very good characterization. Good cinematography. And nice performance by Tom Wilkinson and Mark Strong.

cheers.

Last night watched "The wildest dream" a documentry on mystery on who climbed the Everest first, Geroge Mallory was the man who was killed during as attempt to scale the worlds highest mountain almost 30 years before it was actaully sumitted by sir Edmund Hillary and Tenjing Norgay in 1953.
and if you are in mountaineering or like mountaineering its a must watch

Saw two movies that I liked.

The first was Game starring Abhishek Bachchan and Kangana Ranaut. This movie is about a recluse who lives in a private island in Greece and calls four people for a meeting. In the meeting he accuses three of the four of being a drug pusher, a pimp, and a murderer. Starts being a Hercule Poirot kind of movie and turns out to be completely different. Though I could suspect Abhishek's real role by his swagger and self confidence, the end was completely surprising. One of the main protagonists is killed in the beginning, and I expected him to come alive in the end. He does not, but someone else does.

The other was Knock Out. Though lifted directly from The Phone Booth, the Director has not only Indianised the plot well, he has also ended up making a hero of the guy caught in the phone booth. Good acting by Irrfan and Sanjay Dutt.

Cheers

Last edited:
Oh man! I loved Toy Story 3. It has amazing animation, smart writing and emotions that cling to your heart. Worthy of the Oscar win / nominations it received.

Royal Challenge old-time-friends meeting rocked and this movie was reason we all met.

Immensely likeable!

Last edited:
watched these on sunday

1) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010):- Must see for die-hard potter fans.

2) I Saw the Devil (2010) :- Korean movie, about a psycho manic serial killer and an interesting way of taking revenge by one of victims fiance. A must watch.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back