Best Price - 2011 Samsung Plasma 3D PS51D550

Status
Not open for further replies.
42" 70k, with One pair of 3D glasses.
Not bad for a 3D TV a that size. Should have similar performance like V20.

Hope you review the 3D performance as I feel 2011 Samsung Plasma seems to have best 3D performance with excellent USB playback.

Manit's update - I finally got hold of the Samsung contact who claimed that the TV was delivered yesterday evening to Devi and hence has suggested to do money transfer tomorrow morning. As usual, he was annoyed when I asked why it didn't happen the day before when the TV is showing as delivered then and I kept calling him and SMS to get no response. He claims his phone was bad and hence he didn't get any SMS or calls. He still haven't confirmed how much he will be transferring as he had to disconnect and has promised a call in 1 hour (I am positive he wont call back again). I will follow up in few minutes so we ensure that the transfer do happen early tomorrow morning.

Hi Prankey,
Most of the sites put samsung D550 and ST30 at par for 3D performance.
Generally with 3D on, you will have a big dip in contrast ratio, since there will be a rise in black level, and reduction on overall panel brightness. Most of the TV's compensate by driving up the plasma. But that comes at a cost of loss of color accuracy and gamma.

I will do a review once I get the unit (and glasses). I have Crysis 2 (on PS3). So I will be able to do "Some" review :)

But on the whole Plasma's are million times better than LCD when it comes to handling 3D (LCD's are not fast enough to eliminate cross talk, even the best of 2011 models).

42" 70k, with One pair of 3D glasses.

Was told 68k, devi international. But got brain washed (self :D) and decided that 70k is toomuch for a 42 incher. I can only imagine how unreal the VT30 series price can be :sad::mad: ...?

Panny prices are really way high & also panny does NOT seem motivated enough to do business in INDIA by pricing their tv rationally ,so that their superior products are able to reach the common indian people! Indian people are Price sensitive & the mkt. here is very much a vfm mkt.I wonder why panasonic seem to ignore this & is rather belittling themselves by pushing their lcd business to the forefront(Lcd also cost & are NOT exactly cheap).Those who knows about Panasonic tv's knows them best for their superior Plasma tv .Is this that Panasonic are real snobs, or putts our intelligence to question by NOT rationally/fairly pricing their tv(plasma) disregards competition & their pricing (samsung), pushes their less known/much less popular lcd tv operations ahead,DoesNOT launch their Best models or launches them at a very late date in india & at prices unaffordable which gives enough clues with their disenchantment with the Indian mkt. India though a value driven mkt is very much on the upsurge with million of customers ready to jump to the HDTV bandwagon,& it hardly does good to remain so elitist & ignorant.Sony has learnt to flex,..when will u Panasonic?

You can say quite the same thing about Apple.
unlike the common notion, ipod is not the best portable music device. iphone4 is NOT the fastest or even smoothest smart phone. But they sell quite well, inspite of pricing it higher.

It is not entirely true though. Panasonic do sell some of their normal panels at good rates in India (X U). However their "NeoPDP" panels do cost a premium, because they are some of the best panels on the planet, what many videophiles consider to be the next best thing to Kuro. And ST, GT and VT more or less share the same panel, save for a better filter on VT (GT and ST share the exact same panel, but no THX on ST ofcourse).
But as I have said before, This TV is 10k over priced. I believe they should sell it at around 60k. This TV, however will never be a 50k Tv (unless ofcourse this becomes the outgoing model, like the V series, which many had for bargain prices!).

And besides, do we have a choice in 42 inches from Samsung or LG? last i checked there was not even 1 Full HD panel from them. They sell 5 and 6 series at these sizes in the rest of the world. But not in India, why? I would have loved to pick up a 6 series 42" panel from samsung. Samsung thinks that all video lovers will pick up 64". Even though they have only 8-feet viewing distance :rolleyes:

Ultimately, we form a minority group in this country that has salesman saying that we need to recharge the Gas in plasma ever 2 years, and that Plasma is "Outdated" technology and what not. Some of them claim that viewing angles of plasma is very less in comparison with LCD. So all my relatives and friends still look at me and think "This guy is crazy" for picking up plasmas (This is my second plasma).

Enough of Rands, All I can say is, I can understand your pain. And amongst all this chaos, I believe PS51D550 is the most sensibly priced.
But since I had to go for a 42inch (Room size constraints), its either I go for yet another 720p panel, or go LCD (EEEKS!!!) or go to panasonic.
Everyone is fleecing us. Panasonic a bit more. But hey, its an amazing panel :)

Anyways, we have moved far far away from the core topic. Lets not hijack this thread ;).

Panny prices are really way high & also panny does NOT seem motivated enough to do business in INDIA by pricing their tv rationally ,so that their superior products are able to reach the common indian people! Indian people are Price sensitive & the mkt. here is very much a vfm mkt.I wonder why panasonic seem to ignore this & is rather belittling themselves by pushing their lcd business to the forefront(Lcd also cost & are NOT exactly cheap).Those who knows about Panasonic tv's knows them best for their superior Plasma tv .Is this that Panasonic are real snobs, or putts our intelligence to question by NOT rationally/fairly pricing their tv(plasma) disregards competition & their pricing (samsung), pushes their less known/much less popular lcd tv operations ahead,DoesNOT launch their Best models or launches them at a very late date in india & at prices unaffordable which gives enough clues with their disenchantment with the Indian mkt. India though a value driven mkt is very much on the upsurge with million of customers ready to jump to the HDTV bandwagon,& it hardly does good to remain so elitist & ignorant.Sony has learnt to flex,..when will u Panasonic?

@Prankey Till when is the offer of 63k with Devi International stand? I am gonna get the money in about 15-20 days and am planning buy it then. I also want to buy an extra 3d glass. Also do you have any idea whether it is in stock and how many days delivery will take? Your help is appreciated friend :-)

Prankey please dont forget you were going to tell me about the group buy transport to delhi and the overall price

You can say quite the same thing about Apple.
unlike the common notion, ipod is not the best portable music device. iphone4 is NOT the fastest or even smoothest smart phone. But they sell quite well, inspite of pricing it higher.

It is not entirely true though. Panasonic do sell some of their normal panels at good rates in India (X U). However their "NeoPDP" panels do cost a premium, because they are some of the best panels on the planet, what many videophiles consider to be the next best thing to Kuro. And ST, GT and VT more or less share the same panel, save for a better filter on VT (GT and ST share the exact same panel, but no THX on ST ofcourse).
But as I have said before, This TV is 10k over priced. I believe they should sell it at around 60k. This TV, however will never be a 50k Tv (unless ofcourse this becomes the outgoing model, like the V series, which many had for bargain prices!).

And besides, do we have a choice in 42 inches from Samsung or LG? last i checked there was not even 1 Full HD panel from them. They sell 5 and 6 series at these sizes in the rest of the world. But not in India, why? I would have loved to pick up a 6 series 42" panel from samsung. Samsung thinks that all video lovers will pick up 64". Even though they have only 8-feet viewing distance :rolleyes:

Ultimately, we form a minority group in this country that has salesman saying that we need to recharge the Gas in plasma ever 2 years, and that Plasma is "Outdated" technology and what not. Some of them claim that viewing angles of plasma is very less in comparison with LCD. So all my relatives and friends still look at me and think "This guy is crazy" for picking up plasmas (This is my second plasma).

Enough of Rands, All I can say is, I can understand your pain. And amongst all this chaos, I believe PS51D550 is the most sensibly priced.
But since I had to go for a 42inch (Room size constraints), its either I go for yet another 720p panel, or go LCD (EEEKS!!!) or go to panasonic.
Everyone is fleecing us. Panasonic a bit more. But hey, its an amazing panel :)

Anyways, we have moved far far away from the core topic. Lets not hijack this thread ;).

I wouldn't like to diverge much from the topic at the thread & i of course do appreciate ur points but to an extent. Yes,u r right that sammy or lg doesn't offer a 42"Fhd pdp in india & that's a big loophole in mkting. of their pdp range for the average indian joe who mightNOT always like to go BIG (50"+) for their HDtv.Take my instance,i upgraded from a 40" fhd lcd & was seeking something better in around the same size (& as like u,lcd's eekeed me out,u will find it in another thread),so i had to look for plasmas only, & let me tell u,i began the hunt with the Panasonic 42"v20d(st30 Not yet launched then).After almost zeroing on the 42" ,i got the news that Panasonic locally had ran out of stock with 42"v20d & after much pursuit & asking their higher ups about availability,the best they were Non committal about anynew stock They told the v20d has ben discontinued & if i wanted i can buy the 50v20d for nearly 1lk,which was immediately available(in stock) but i simply couldn't afford, being the average joe! Still i waited for sometime in constant pursuance of getting a 42v20 from somewhere but all in vain & ending up in frustration!...........Meanwhile Samsung launched their new pdps & i got to see the 51D550 in action.For me,this appeared just the saviour,just the kind of tv i was looking for & my decision was probably immediately made in favour of the d550..The pictures & colours,in whole the complete package of getting such a BIG tv at such down to earth prices,particularly comparing to panasonic ,left me with no better choice than picking up a 51 d550! It was a 9 inch bigger panel than the 42"v20d with almost the same prices only at slightly inferior black levels.But with much better picture processing,feature packed,particularly having a full inbuilt media player & inbuilt 3d & extremely sleek looks seemed to me a much better value & hence a instant choice.I also can honestly say u this,that viewing a large FHD tv of over 50"screen estate has so much more visual impact than a smaller 42"fhd tv, the positive difference makes up more than the subtle differences one can find in p.q with the v20d. So, having purchased the tv,& being truly happy with its superlative picture & the features it has, i an assuredly say u , i am least bit regretful of Not having bought a Panasonic "neopdp"& am extremely happy with my purchase!If any Panny ST/GT can be compared to VT, I think Sammy D550 can equally be compared to the D8000,the Best Plasma for 2011 so far.I would also like to add in that Samsung globally has outsold more pdp's than panasonic-the plasma mkt. so far in 2011, so there is a definite trend of change & perception in different spheres i presume.

The other question is why No 42"Fhd from samsung yet, i feel that if they indeed launch one, their core business of 40 "Fhd lcd/led tv would be directly hit(pricewise)!.... still sammy launching a 42"fhd pdp would have been the right step,since it would given a direct head on competition to panasonic 42"pdp's,created a level playing field & a choice for those opting for the smaller sized fhd pdp's ,therby helped in brining the panny pdp tv prices to Realistic levels! Indian junta are also becoming intelligent purchasers & no one likes to be milked for buying any product that comes with a tag of uberness but of 0 practical value!.I am Not discrediting Panasonic for anything,their flagship neopdps are still perhaps the best,...but when their lesser models of st/gt series of smaller sizes cost more than the bigger sized pdp's of the competition in the same segment, i'm honestly ridiculed!

Also,majority of Tv salesman just simply speaking bakwas about Plasma tv & painting a catastrophe about buying a pdp ,i fairly squarely pin that to utter callousness & ineptitude of the plasma manufacturers & No strategy of creating new customers or retaining olones.I honestly dont know what their pr teams does Or what strategies they have to reach out to peoples, who are thinking about getting their next best hd tv.Panasonic being the plasma leader should bore the brunt of doing such reckless non-motivated business of their brilliant pdps & it irks me the most,when they hardly put any promotion & Adv. of their pdp's but does so regularly for their Lcd range with full page advs.Unless there were the interweb & forums like this, many of the average joes would have hardly known, that Plasma tv are still being made, perhaps pansonic makes them a lot better..& the Grand fact that Plasma Tv's are the Best of the Tv's there are.

I'm just left wondering how the indian pdp mkt goes on with such complacency & so many customers r bereift of the better technology at the whims & profit plans of this big corporations...& as a yet another average indian joe,i think,...are we always to be taken for granted?

I am Not a Big thinker,i spoke out of my mind & mayb some ignorance, but everything candid!

*sorry to prankey for taking up so much space here.
I needed to vent out some air & tell my side of story or as i see it!..err hope u understand ;)

** Originally posted in the wrong thread!

Last edited:
Finally got the delivery of my Sammy D550 today, installation wil be done tomorrow and may be demo the following day. I got it at price of Rs62K (No glasses)

I told my Samsung dealer to deliver today as money was supposed to transfer today.

Still no update......again had to postpone delivery..

Prankey,

Please confirm when it would be transferred?

And request you to please get the shipping amount added as well.you know how much I lost in this dealand I bought TV for 68k where people are buying it in 62k. Even my friend got it in 63k from the same dealer where I booked it initially ?

@Prankey Till when is the offer of 63k with Devi International stand? I am gonna get the money in about 15-20 days and am planning buy it then. I also want to buy an extra 3d glass. Also do you have any idea whether it is in stock and how many days delivery will take? Your help is appreciated friend :-)

Its readily available right now. So can be delivered same day if these folks are proactive and PROFESSIONAL enough! Unfortunately chasing them is a harassment in itself. Glad that rest of us didn't have to go through the pain.

Prankey please dont forget you were going to tell me about the group buy transport to delhi and the overall price

Yeah, if you wish they seems to be willing to try another shipping to Delhi in lieu of Manit's TV as it has been returned and I STILL haven't got the refund.

can anyone pls tell me the lowest price of PS51d550 in NAGPUR. I searched everywhere n the best i could get was 72.5k. Pls help...

Hi Prankey,

They promised that they will refund the money as soon as TV will be returned thats why I purchased it here and they got it on 5th and today is 10th means 5 days still they havent refunded my money.what can be the reason of delay?

If they should have told that it will take time to refund money then I wouldnt have bought it locally in Delhi and I gave 50k in advanced as well as I confirmed with you before I went for this purchase.

Any update?

Can they atleast let me know how long it will take so that I can speak to my Samsung dealer here accordingly.

can anyone pls tell me the lowest price of PS51d550 in NAGPUR. I searched everywhere n the best i could get was 72.5k. Pls help...

Read the post on the forum and drive a hard bargain. You shud be able to get it around a minimum of Rs62K

Any update?

Can they atleast let me know how long it will take so that I can speak to my Samsung dealer here accordingly.
I am chasing them every day. Had strong confrontations with Samsung and told them that this is absolutely unprofessional that I end up chasing them for something he promised to do the SAME DAY. He had promised to get the transfer done by yesterday. Was also arguing why should he bear the return shipment cost when he had agreed for it before! It was only after the confrontations he agreed to get it done by yesterday and told me not to "assume" things as its been done on priority. He don't have ANY answer why it took 5 days to START working on it. I have lost all interest in dealing with them and hence have become very passive now. I get strong repulsions working with unprofessional folks even when they are financially reliable and can offer best deals.

I will chase them again today and update accordingly.

I am surely thinking of 51D550 but any idea how much 40D6000 might cost in grey market in bangalore? Heard leds are very cheap out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back